X-ray guided cortisone injection in foot - what to expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

To cut a very long and painful story short, I have an appointment on Friday for an x-ray guided cortico-steroid injection in the joints of my foot, about mid-foot area. I know it will be under a local anaesthetic and that I cannot drive myself, but I don't really know what to expect and what to wear, or if I might need crutches or walking sticks when I am allowed to leave!

The letter was fairly general and just said that no fasting is required before a local anaesthetic and you are allowed home after about 4 hours. When I had a small skin lesion removed from my shin, years ago, the op was mid-morning but the local anaesthetic didn't wear off until about 11.30pm that night - when excrutiating pain set in! Obviously, that procedure was more complex than an injection, and required numerous stitches.

I just want to be properly prepared! My husband will drop me off at the hospital on his way to a job, but he will need a rough idea of when I will need picking up again and whether or not I will need assistance in walking.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My husband has this done to his neck. He was in and out in under 4 hours. I had the same thing done to my knee and was fine after. It was like getting any other shot.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply - at least I don't have a problem with needles, and I've already had an injection between the toes, into a Morton's Neuroma (which made no difference to my odd burning pains).
    • Posted

Thank you, so do I! Fed up with nearly 3 1/2 years of pain - I have forgotten how it feels to walk normally!
  • Posted

I had this done mid foot (outer) about two weeks ago and whole process took approx 20 minutes and was just like a normal injection. I was back in car as passenger straight away afterwards no crutches or limp, simply a plaster over injection spot. My advice would be to get your husband to wait with you if he can may be quicker than getting him to come back for you. I wish you well in your recovery mine has been successful thankfully
    • Posted

Thank you - that's good to know. As I said, the letter is rather non-specific and I was told I shouldn't drive, so I didn't know what to expect. I've had consultant and podiatrist baffled for several years as to what's wrong, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome at last. I hope you continue to improve.
  • Posted

I am in a similar position have had foot fusion surgery midfoot and may possibly need it again outer foot but at present injection has worked well. It feels good after years with orthotics which have been of no use whatsoever

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.