Xolair works wonders for CHRONIC HIVES! I saw results immediately

Posted , 47 users are following.

Please try Xolair shots, I had horribly hives for months and months that wouldn't go away with diet or anything. It is a fairly new medicine, but I saw results right away. I have gotten the shot 4 times now, (4 months) and I haven't had a hive in weeks!

4 likes, 142 replies

142 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks Jill.  I have been doing lots of research and have taken the advice of others and I am taking both levoceterizine and ranitidine together which has now brought the hives under control.  Thanks for the tip about Xolair, I will test it out if the hives return.  Best wishes.
    • Posted

how's your hives? have you had xolair?

• Posted

I'm interested in finding out about Xolair. After having had a better month I've just had a whole week of it and little sleep. I think the trigger was having one beer and some sourdough bread. Are you in the UK? If so, do you know if the NHS will prescribe it for chronic urticaria? I thought it was difficult to get it prescribed in severe uncontrolled asthma. I do have moderate / severe athsma but it's well controlled on Fostair or Seretide.
    • Posted

Desmond...shouldnt we be able to have a beer and sourdough bread.  This is bunk,  I dont know about Xolair and asthma.  I have pretty severe asthma but currently controlled.  Go to the doc on Thursday and will ask him if I am a candidate for Xolair and let u know
    • Posted

Hi Desmond,

Just to clarify, I am in the US - and have insurance through Blue Cross, Blue Shield, where I only pay a $30 copay per shot (once a month). My sister attends St. Andrews in Scotland, and I know how hard the NHS can be about presciptions, she had the worst time getting them to OK her accutane.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

I see it has been six years since this post, are you still receiving Xolair injections for hives? If so have you had any side effects from the medication? I have been battling hives for years and I am trying to get my insurance to approve it. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Posted

Congratulations Jill...I am so glad to hear the shots are working for you.  I am currently having some success as well with my CU, however it takes a handful of pills a few times a day.  One shot would be much beter.  Again, Congrats and hope you live a hive free life!!
  • Posted

I am on my second shot and my urticaria seems to be better 😃2 more shots to go
    • Posted

Hi Daniela

Are your hives completely gone with the Xolair shots or do you still get "some"?  You mentioned " better"....... I still get some when I wake up.  What has your doctor told you what to expect? You mentioned 2 more shots....is that all?  My doctor said not to plan on stopping the Xolair anytime soon.  I sent Jill as message earlier today...please read.

i look forward to hearing from you

thanks

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Daniella just wondering how your doing with urticaria now that you've had your shots how has it been im going on my fourth shot and it seems to get better every time but i'm just wondering after imy sixth shot if it comes back.

• Posted

I've had Delayed Pressure Urticaria as well as the more generalized Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria for about 3 years. I tried every combination of anti-histamines and other medications without success. I recently began treatment with Xolair about 3 weeks ago. I have not had a hive since the date of the shot. Xolair was recently approved for use with CIU that is not otherwise controllable with conventional antihistamines. So far the Xolair seems to be working. I've not really put it to the test by exercise or riding my bike. But ordinarily I would have hives just from sitting or walking. I've not had any itchy spots yet. Once my cold clears I will begin riding my bike. That is the ultimate test. I will update this as I progress in the treatment.
    • Posted

I am so glad that it is working for you!!! Urticaria is physically and emotionally debilitating.

I will have my third shot at the en of the month and I am doin great with Xolair.

• Posted

Hello how is it going now that you've had all six shots of zolair?

• Posted

Hi Jill

I have had bad breakout if hives this time since last June and have been on and off all meds with much Prednisone as well ....nothing worked.  I had my first injections of Xolair last month....within two days my severe hives all over went away....such relief!  The following week I would wake up to some hives which was discouraging but they went away by afternoon...I am still taking Prednisone only 5 mg slowly going off and take 1 Zyrtec each day.  This Thursday I will be totally off prednisone. I just had my second Xolair shots this past Thursday.....discouraging as I'm still waking up to hives......not bad or  severe but enough to be concerned and discouraged.......especially since I'm still taking low dose of prednisone.  I don't know what to expect.  Did you still have some hives after shots and are you taking other meds as well?

Please advise.  Thank you!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy!

I'm so glad you are feeling better. It took a few months for my hives to clear up completely, I was hive free for 5 months, and then they came back in about half their form for about 2 months. I have been free and clear of them at this point since Janurary, I think over time this medicine works. I had hives on and off at the beginning of my Xolair journey, and I can't tell you how heartbreaking it was to feel like there is no cure. My heart goes out to you all, as only we know what it truly feels like to itch our skin off, super swollen, and have the lowest self esteem possible.

I also take Levocetirizine 5 mg, and a hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg once a week. I was initially subscribed to take them at night every night before bed, but they made me SO DROWSY I couldn't function normally - I now have dwindled my body down to taking them once a week. So that they stay in my system, but don't make me a zombie! please let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help. 

• Posted

Hi Jill

i just found your reply after I sent you my questions to you. I am so very happy for you that you are hive free since January!  That is VERY encouraging!  Are you still getting the Xolair shots or did you stop them.  My doctor said for me to plan on getting the injections for a long time.....I was glad to hear that you had hives off and on in the beginning of your shots as well....I was afraid that the shots were not working for me. 

So great to be able to share with other Chronic Urticaria sufferers! We need a CURE!!  I've had this three times in my life with decades in between with no hives!  Is this your first time with the hives?

Have a nice evening!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Jill

I have had my second Xolair shot 3 weeks ago and still break out in hives.  My fourth shot is next week.  Last night broke out bad.....needless to say I am very discouraged. They went away after my first shot during the first week then slowly came back...not as severe but still hives!  With your experience should I be concerned that it is not working for me?  Was yours similar.?  Is there still hope with the shots?

thanks

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy i'm asking a few people on here about their experience with zolair I will be om my fourth shot next week i'm very pleased with it but i'm still on meds and I have to watch what i eat but not close to before but i'm just wondering what to expect after my sixth shot has it cleared it for good for you ?

• Posted

Hello Wendy 

I was just wondering if you are hives free. I've been taking Xolair for over a year now. It got better but now is coming back aggressively. I'm so hopeless! I don't know what to do. 

Would love to hear from you. 

Thanks 

Mia

• Posted

Hi Krisha

Im not longer taking xolair as it didn't work for me. Now I take immune supressante (Dapsone) and some other thyroid meds as they believed that my CIU is linked with malfunction of my thyroid. It gave me 5 months break of hives free and I still get some hives but not as bad as before. So I believe that I'm on the right path. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.