Year after having UFE

Posted , 9 users are following.

Wanted to know from anyone who had a UFE and after a year display you ever experience any cramping or same type of discharge of tissues from the shrinkage. It's been a year to date of my procedure. Recently started having cramping and discharge with shedding tissues again like I was passing game after the procedure. Can someone share there experience after a 8 months to 1year after UFE.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Teliza,

I had my procedure in September 2015, I still experience a watery discharge frequently, tissue during my periods, and cramping before my periods at times. But my fibroids have shrunk by over 50%, pressure and pain gone and periods have remained light and shorter.

• Posted

Thank you Angel for sharing. This the first time since my procedure since I experience this. I'm going to a follow with my Gynecologist to see if shrinkage is still occuring. Yes it start right before my period, and this month still having the issues after my period. I wonder how long this will continue, it's a little uncomfortable at times.

• Posted

It's very normal and I've read of women even 4 years after having ufe having some loss of tissue. It's a good thing and will lead to better shrinkage over time. I would report it to your ir and obgyn. As long as you have no fever, no smelly discharge, and no pain, it's ok.

• Posted

I had my ufe on 10/24/2016. I did not have heavy bleeding, it was more about the bulkiness, I have not experienced any bleeding. I had no bleeding after the procedure nor since. I haven't had any periods so maybe I've entered menopause or I'm peri-menopausal. I have an MRI scheduled in a week and will have a follow up to hear how much they've shrinked.

• Posted

Please follow up with me because I had my procedure sep 16th and I posted my experience so far . I had my hormones checked and my obgyn said I was premenopausal and I'm shocked and not happy . i did have a cycle in October which was heavy and I cramped . Have you experience vaginal dryness or hot flashes ?

• Posted

Yes I've experienced both but I also started to have hot flashes before the procedure. The dryness is new and I'm not happy about that either. I do hope it's temporary.

• Posted

I'm very interested in this discussion also since my wife got an ufe recently and two weeks later still has cramping and very low energy. Now you are saying you have cramping almost a year later with abnormal discharge. I hope a radiologist or nurse would pipe in here and give their thoughts in long term stats.

• Posted

John you can check the embo group on yahoo. Lots of great info there and archives of lots of experiences.

And yes, it can take a year or two for full shrinkage, and debris can come out months to years later.

• Posted

And two weeks later is EARLY days. She will probably continue to have symptoms for a while.
    • Posted

Oh! Never was told that.... thx for the useful info friend
    • Posted

I was never told a lot of things and these doctors should have told us everything. My radiologist and his staff made it seem like this would be easier than having major surgery with less complications. Well now after the procedure I wish I would have just had the surgery to remove them and be done with it.
    • Posted

It is much safer than surgery and does have less complications. What are your concerns?
    • Posted

I don't have concerns I have issues lol. After surgery. Ow my obgyn says I'm premenopausal and I have vaginal dryness and libido is maybe at 50%. 3 month check up no shrinkage. So yeas at this point I would have rathered the surgery .

• Posted

Will you schedule surgery now? Or try another ufe? How do you know there is no shrinkage? Have you had an MRI to see if the ufe was a clinical success?

Being premenopausal can have nothing at all to do with the ufe. That could have been in store for you, anyway. Why did you have the ufe? Has it helped with bleeding? It's more effective in reducing bleeding than bulk. I do know patients who've continued to see shrinkage for 2 years or more. 3 months is so early.

What kind of fibroids do you have and what size?

• Posted

It may have nothing to do with it but I sure is weird it happened immediately after the procedure . I mean like the next week. My symptoms were heavy bleeding (was changing my pad every hour ) some months it was normal. My main thing was I have a fibroid 9 cm and about 11 or so small ones . The reason why I had the procedure was mainly because that large one was sitting on my bladder and the

Bleeding . If I was to sneeze and my bladder was full I would go on myself and now that has changed which is weird being that the doc said it hasn't shrunk at all. I think maybe the smaller ones have which is not

Pushing on the big one. I wasn't tod it would take years to see results ,

It was presented to me as if once it was a success results would be immediately. Now after coming

Here now I know it's not true and I feel a litttle better . I think I would have still chosen to get them

Removed surgically

• Posted

Even if they do not shrink, the consistency is different. Think tennis ball vs water balloon. Ufe is a process. If you'd had surgery it would take months to heal from, as well.

• Posted

Yes I know now but the doctor I feel should have informed me better . But it's not all her fault or the radiologist. I should have done more research .

• Posted

Yes, that's your responsibility as a patient.

How many ufe's has your ir done and what kind of educational materials did he send you home with?

• Posted

Some patients do get immediate results, some are slow but steady, and for some people it doesn't work at all. Everyone is different and no doctor can guarantee results or what type of results you will get. Your radiologist should have gone through the risk factors and complications with you prior to the procedure. Gynecologists are not as experienced with the procedure but should be able to go through pros and cons also so you could make an informed decision.

My gynecologist only went through the cons with me because he wanted me to have a hysterectomy,but I had researched extensively beforehand and chose UFE. On the morning of the procedure the radiologist went through everything again but I had also been given leaflets prior to this.

With any procedure you just don't know how your body will react, but I hope your doctor will be able to help you reduce your current issues.

• Posted

I saw immediate shrinkage. I weighed less and I was able to fit into my clothes 3-weeks later when I returned to work. I saw the radiologist a month after the ufe and he was impressed. I can't wait to hear what the MRI shows. I'm scheduled next week, which will be 3-months post op. Everything has gone so well I would hate to think I might have pain and bleeding months, or even years later. Regardless I would not have opted for the surgery.

• Posted

Oh that's wonderful to hear and I'm glad it has worked for you. Unfortunately your results is what I was told several times bu my radiologist.His staff and my obgyn . Hopefully my 6month check up I will have better news.

• Posted

Thank you angel for replying. Yes that's my issue the radiologist made it seem like it would be a breeze. Oh well too late now lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.