Yearly follow up endoscopy and I'm so scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Last year I had an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with Barrett's, gastritis, gerd and and an ulcer on my esophogus. I was prescribed a ppi and sucrofate for the ulcer. Yesterday I just had my yearly follow up endoscopy and am seriously

Freaking out. The Barretts is still there and the gastritis and it looks like the ulcer is still there... but what I am freaking out about most is this cluster of bumps shown they are the same color as the esophogus and the dr told

Me when I came out that there were these bumps but he does not think they are cancer and that this can happen like you get bumps on your skin. He's a great dr and I trust him but I'm scared. When researching they don't look like polyps but my fear is that I still see a lot of redness which would

Mean inflammation and I believe that could

Eventually

Lead to stomach cancer. I am only 28 years old. I cried all day yesterday, I guess I expected the endoscopy to look better since I've been getting treatment. Anyway he biopsied the biggest bump and I have an appt with his office on Tuesday. I'm scared too because If they are not cancerous growths I know they could eventually turn into cancer. I'm just so scared.. after quitting smoking for a few years the past six months I was smoking again. Even though he told me not to worry I feel these are bad results and I will not be smoking another cigarette. I just hope it's not too late.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, of course your Barrett's is still there. It is a permanent change of some of the cells lining yur oesophagus from squamous to columnar to prevent your body from digesting itself. There's no need to freak oout about having Barrett's, it's far more common than you think. In US, about 1 in 60 have it (though most don't know).

Although it has the propensity to mutate to cancer, the risks are really extremely small. (I've known I've had my Barrett's at least 23 years and probably a lot longer. I'll still have it when I die of something completely unrelated.)

Oesophagitis can produce a rash-like appeareance (the small bumps you describe). I am certain the biopsies will not even show dysplasia.

And, looking on the bleak side, if it were cancerous, it's been discovered early enough to ablate and mean you are cured.

But do stay off the cigarettes. There are numerous ways they can kill you

• Posted

Hi. Barretts,

Thank you so much for your response, you made me feel a lot better. I was still a little groggy but he said something like he didn't think it was cancer and something about being able to burn it off the bumps of there was an issue I think it was called ablation or something like that. I'm just concerned I guess that it is getting worse not better. My other concern is that I read something about the growths could eventually change to cancer, do you know anything about that?

• Posted

There is always a small risk of Barrett's progresing.

If the "bumps" are actually dysplasia, then burning them off with radio frequency ablation will get rid of all the Barrett's. (They don't usually ablate non-dysplastic Barrett's as the risk of progression is so small and there is a risk it will develop again. )

• Posted

Like o said I was groggy so I couldn't ask too many questions but when I look at the bumps on the pictures it looks like their at the top of the esophogus. Isn't the Barretts at the bottom of your esophagus? It doesn't look like the bumps are on top of the Barretts. Ugh o have so many questions

• Posted

I could not have said anything more or better.

Relax, breath, spend time with friends.

big warm hug

• Posted

just wait for some results Alissa i know its time consuming the polyps could be anything if there polyps , keep me posted anyway x MarkĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Alissa - I too have Barrett's and take Pantrapozole 40 mg capsules which helps it quite a bit.

My only advice to you if I can give you any, is PLEASE stop smoking. Smoking is by far the worst thing for Barretts. I quit after 35 years and although it was difficult, it was a blessing and my Barrett's is under control. Doctors can tell by blood test if you're smoking and they're never happy. They lose interest in patients that can't control their smoking. 

Make a resolution to yourself to stop COMPLETELY.. Cells start repairing the minute you stop. Recent studies have shown that just one cigarette causes damage. You are young enough to get things undere control and I think once the Barretts gets under control, the rest will all follow. Like the others have said, Barretts is very common. A large piece of the population has GERD/Barretts/Reflux, etc.

Take care of yourself and I have a good feeling you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses. I hope all is okay the worry has consumed me though I just hope it isn't too late for me to quit. I will update you all on the results on Tuesday if they are in by then

• Posted

I've had the worst indigestion yesterday and today. My bfs mother is dying of cancer so I'm not sure if the stress of all this is making things worse for me. I am making it a point to stop smoking and starting tomorrow I am switching to a mild tea instead of coffee. My dr had said in the past that I could still have it a little but I still seem to be burping after I eat and I wonder if the coffee is making things worse. I guess

My concern is I am so young I want to reduce the inflammation in my

Stomach I don't want to get cancer in my esopgogus or stomach. I guess when I see the dr I will ask if he thinks we should try a different medication. Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of ppis? I was reading up on some stuff with the gastritis and there is some stuff out there that I read that says they do nothing to reduce the risk of cancer? My dr has always said the medication would reduce my risk of cancer because now the gerd is being treated. I'm just scared that I still seem to be burping after I eat. I was supposed to see my dr this coming Tuesday but unfortunatly his father is sick so he is out of the country, not sure when he is returning but I will call his office back tomorrow to find out. When I called to make the follow up appt and to get the biopsy results, they first said he couldn't see me until Jan but then they were able to fit me in this week but now they had to cancel. I can't wait until Jan for these results. Thanks for listening guys. I just want to know what I can do to make this better- I really have to get on top of my diet and eliminate the smoking and coffee

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your rough time. Certainly stress can exacerbate it. (Mine was worst when I was under considerable stress.)

Regarding the bad press PPIs have received. There are many scare stories but most are totally unfounded. If you visit the Barrett's Wessex website (listed on the right or via www BarrettsWessex org uk) and find the page on PPI dangers on the drop down menu under the Treatments tab, you can read the analyses of the scare stories and make up your own mind.

The studies linking PPIs to heart, kidney and dementia are correllations rather than causal. (eg I developed kidney problems before I started on PPIs, and my father (a lifetime acid reflux sufferer) died young from a heart attack before PPIs were even invented) .

The good news about PPIs is there have been dozens of studies on the role of chemo-prevention (reducing rsks of progression to cancer) . The meta-analysis of all the stuides (involving thousands of patients) revealed a 71% lower risk of progression for those on PPIs. So the advice is definitely take them.

Regarding diet. Unless you have personally discovered any particular triggers to avoid, research has shown the banned foods lists are usually just propagated myths. It's not what we eat but how we eat that's important. You may find, like me and thousands of others, coffee actually doen't actually bother you.

• Posted

Thanks you so much Barretts your responses always make me feel a lot better. I guess I'm just scared because everything still looks inflamed after treating this for a year- were you ever like that? I figured following that list of foods and taking out the coffee and of course the cigs might reduce the inflammation there appears to be.

• Posted

Congratulations on NOT smoking! Save your energies for when--if- you ARE diagnosed with something. Anything  COULD happen, you could fall down stairs etc. you're doing what can be done: seeing a professional who is supposed to know about your concerns.

• Posted

Hi Alissa, there is a new procedure I just found out about, it kills the barretts and I am concerned over omephrazole and kidney challenges I read about, not that this could happen, however, this new procedure is like a EDG and heals the side of the ensophagus. Ā Sometimes I wonder if taking omeprazole just trains the stomach to not work well anymore as it is addicted to the omeprazole. Ā Having a hiatal hernia myself and most of my family members too, it is a challenging disease and SUPER painful. Ā I would look into this new procedure. Ā Not sure how long it last though and back on omeprazole 40mgs. Ā GRRRR
    • Posted

The procedure you're thinking of is probably Radio Frequency Ablation (sometimes called "HALO". )

It destroys Barrett's cells and is recommended if you have dysplasia. However, if you have non-dysplastic (ie normal) Barrett's, it's not worth it. Since you developed Barrett's previously, there's a good chance you could develop it again so you'd still need to remain on PPIs and have regular scoping.

Since risks of progression are so low, and the Barrett's cells are actually protecting your body from digesting itself, it's better left.

As to the scare stoirs regarding PPIs and kidney disease etc., they have been propagated by journalists who do not understand the difference between causation and correllation.

To understand the risks of PPIs, visit the Barrett's Wessex website (link on the right) and find the "PPI's dangers" page from the drop down under the Treatment tab.

• Posted

Yes, thats it, HALO, just got a EDG and barretts is "mild" but I can feel things getting worse as without that 40mg daily I am dying where in the past I could get away without the omeprazole.  I also, years ago, drank a brand of aloe vera juice, next EDG pink and pretty ensophagus.  It was milder then and like to start aloe juice agaiin, though the gastro guy does not think that helped, but my former gastro guy was amazed the 2nd EDG was better than the first, he asked me, what have you been doing, I said: drinking aloe vera juice.  I found a tolerable tasting one, none are great, but this one kept cold in the fridge makes it easy.  Who knows, I just concern myself as this is not a disease if it gets worse will be a comforable passing away with great pain.  My doc mentioned HALO and said NOW it is only elective so inusrance will not pay it.  I will meet him soon, got his letter only stating to come back in 2 years, however, the pain and hurting burning like eating me alive in my ensophagus only works to stop with the 40 mg omeprazole. Thank goodness it doesn't cost a arm and leg to buy it.  I sometimes try 20mg for the day when I can feel it isn't as bad as others as I fear the omeprazole hurts BONES and kidneys over the long haul.  Like all diseases I feel they know cures but won't bring them out and the Pharmaceutical Companies want that MONEY over cures.  I wish there was some way to heal it naturally.  I cam by it honestly as my family members have gerd too.  We all have something, this one is painful.  Thank you for commmenting....I just found this place, maybe we can all help one another here in the NEW YEAR, Happy New Year!

• Posted

There is no cure. Barrett's is a permanent cellular change that is protecting you against acid erosion. But keep an eye on it with surveillance scoping every few years. If it ever shows signs of dysplasia, then's the time to have it ablated.

Keep taking your omeprazole every day at the same time. If you need 40mg stay on 40mg. I was on 80mg for a few years before I had reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication).

There are no natural cures. (And the drugs companies are funding considerable research to see if they can discover a way to reverse the metaplasia that has occurred. ) But PPIs like omeprazole have been shown to reduce the risk of progression to cancer by 71%.

Aloe Vera acts as a demulcent. It helps produce more mucous in the oesophagus, which is the way the oesophagus is protected from acid attack. Unfortunately, reflux can wash it away allowing erosion. That's why the Barrett's cells have formed.

Read the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk for more information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.