yeast infection, bacterial infection, herpes??

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I'm new to the club not officially diagnosed. I've cried for two days straight and luckily I have very good friends and family who have calmed me down since I don't exactly have answers. I'm hoping if I describe what's happening to me someone can help. October 18th I had unfortunately for me (and very stupid of me) I might add unprotected sex with a guy I thought would end up being my boyfriend based on the direction our conversations were going in. Sure enough after the last time we had sex which was on that date it felt like something was off. He acted very weird during sex and after. Afterwards I just straight up asked him later in the day if all was ok and he said he didn't think we had "chemistry". I call bull and think that he was maybe irritated while we were doing it but tried to play it off. An std never crossed my mind in that moment I just thought something was off but didn't know what. A week later I started getting symptoms. Watery discharge (a lot) and redness. I went to the doctor and they did testing and it turned out that I had bacterial and yeast. (However looking at my bacterial results it said I was negative, I questioned them and they said one of the strains was out of range) ok. So I get a cream for the bacterial and a pill for the antibiotic. Didn't help. In fact it brought more symptoms on. Then I became itchy and sore a little bit on and off and decided to go back this week. I go in on Monday and see another doctor because mine is out of town. He says pretty confidently that he knows what's going on, prescribed me an antibiotic and says my cervix is very inflamed. The antibiotic treats chlymedia and gonorheah which I was tested for the week before and that came out negative. So basically he gave me a new medication but only retested me for all those stds I'd already been tested for which again I say we're negative. On Tuesday night I decided to research and found an article that what I was diagnosed with is often really a sign of herpes which I was unaware. So I read many of those stories and was convinced that this must be what's going on because everything else I tested for came up negative. So I go back this past Wed after taking two days worth of the new antibiotic and I said I know I'm back soon (I'm still supposed to see him this Monday) but I explained what I read and said I think we should test for this. He looked at me and says you're still very inflamed but if I thought you had the onset of herpes I would have prescribed medication for that. He says you're not showing the signs. So I was like okay maybe I'm overreacting and left feeling a little confident and that I needed to calm down. I'm pretty OCD about things. (Despite my idiotic move to let my guard down with the wrong guy) so I get back to work and not even 5 min after arriving I get a call from the doctors office and he says upon reviewing my culture more or whatever he says I have a "rare infection caused by herpes" and wants to prescribe Valtrex to see if that helps. I took my first dose of Valtrex last night. The retest he did for me I got those results yesterday everything came back negative (waiting on herpes) but they said I still have a yeast infection which currently isn't even being treated because I'm still taking Z-pak for things I don't have lol and Valtrex so I can't treat the yeast until Monday.

This coming Monday on the 16th I do an ultrasound and they will do a blood test to check for acute herpes. I don't have a flipping clue what's going on. I'll tell you what symptoms I'm having still and have had if anyone can tell me something because I am lost. I can't tell if the itchiness I have every day is from the untreated yeast or herpes.

In the last two weeks I've had watery discharge (changed to yeast discharge when I was on the cream)

Itchiness

Redness on the inside

Soreness on the left area only at times but not usually.

And little shiny spots that I don't really see. I have to use my flashlight and mirror to see them. The doctor saw all those too.

Also when the doctor checked my cervix I'm tender on the left side when he goes all the way up.

After he did that I went to the bathroom and was spotting a bit. It went away but later that day I feel he must have irritated a sore because then when I went to the bathroom it started to burn when I was peeing because it felt like my urine was going over the sores. That went away later on in the day. Yesterday I spotted a little. Today in not spotting but I'm always itchy just in the morning when I wake up and then now it feels like when I'm having discharge throughout the day it's irritating me. I don't don't know again if the itchiness and irritation is from the yeast but it's the only thing left I still need to be treated for since the medication last week didn't get rid of my yeast.

My questions are does this sound like herpes? If not, what else could it be?

What do you think the doctor meant when he said I have a "rare" infection "caused" by herpes? What does that mean?

Also I took my first dose of Valtrex last night, how many days of medication will it take to clear up my cervix assuming this is what I have?

And any other women here experiencing this as their first symptoms of herpes? How much longer till this goes away? I keep waiting to see crazy sh*t on my vagina and I look pretty normal below minus the redness on the inside but no bumps or anything. I just want the itchiness and redness to go away. When he said rare is it because everything is happening more on the inside then the outside?

Lost....

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sweethheart,

I dont know about alot of the stuff your doc is saying, but I can tell you my experience.

I had sex with a guy 20 years ago and about two days later I basically felt like my vagina was inflamed and swollen shut.  Went to the doc who treated the symptoms without doing a culture.  Gave me antibiotics for BV, which seemed to clear, and sent me on my way.

Long story short. I have had herpes for 20 years while thinking I had some atypical form of BV. 

I know this doesnt help your OCD to hear, but its quite possible.  I dont have visible sores.  I think they are inside. 

We are all OCD lol... thats why we are on here obsessively seeking information.

My outbreaks have recently been taken to a new level (ouch) and so I started valtrex.  I have been taking twice a day for 7 days and have some relief, not complete, but some.  I didnt start feeling even slightly better for about 3 days.  Sorry.  Not a lot of good news for you.

Its is important for people to know that internal herpes is a real thing.  But you arent going to know till you get your results. 

I dont know if this is helpful info, I was hesitant to even post because I didnt want you to obsess more, but, the more info we have the better we do in life. 

I hope its not herpes, but if it is there are ways to manage it. 

FYI.  The swab test is really the best way to diagnose a new infection. I wonder if your doc col do a swab test on one of those "shiny" areas.

• Posted

Thanks Stacy! He did the culture this past Wed when I went back to check for herpes. I told him I read some articles and basically thought maybe I was being misdiagnosed because of my symptoms. He said if I thought you had herpes I would have treated you for that immediately. That's he's seen the onset of herpes before and I didn't have it. He as pretty adamant. He told me not to worry and that the "shiny" stuff was just from the inflammation and infection. 30 minutes after I left the office he calls and says I had a "rare" type of infection caused by herpes and he wants to see if Valtrex helps. I swear I'm in the wrong field I should have just went to medical school. It's crazy a doctor could be so confident and then for me to basically prove him wrong although in this case I wish he was right!! Lol I go back this Monday to get confirmed answers. We are doing an ultrasound to check my cervix and an acute herpes test. I took my second dose of Valtrex last night and today I woke up not itchy for the first time, but I still look red on the inside and a bit around the vaginal area it looks like I have a rash and my skin is starting to get dry slightly I think from the meds I guess. I've been putting "Tend Skin" on the outside after every shower it helps take the itchiness away too when I have it and keeps the area dry. Not flaky dry though. I've used it for a few years so I think the extra dryness as I said is the medication. I think anyways. Also this guys penis that gave it to me was bigger than what I'm used to and I still can't tell but it looks like either my skin was stretched out more slightly or now that area I think looks stretched could be a blister. When I pull it back it looks like just skin but it's so hard to see closer. I need a bigger mirror or something.
  • Posted

Also, if you have a whole foods or similar store near you go get some tea tree oil suppositories.  Use a pad and insert one every few hours.  It will sooth the tissue internally plus get rid of your yeast.
  • Posted

use the panty liner or pad to catch the tea tree drainage.  I think that last post wasnt that clear.

Hang in there

• Posted

This whole experience has taught me that docs need alot of education on heroes. It seems like there are a lot of atypical presentations.

I went to a doc recently due to my chronic infectins and pain. She literally perscribed me a compounded lidacaine cream and told me to put it on a cotton ball and insert 30 mins before sex. This would allow me to be intimate without pain.

OMFrigginG.... She sent me home to infect my partner !!!

• Posted

Does she realize you have herpes?? That sounds like it would hurt not help.
    • Posted

Total incompetence on her part

I have learned doc dont really know much

• Posted

So the very first signs and symptoms I had during my first outbreak started a few days before the sores appeared. It began with a faint itch, I thought was just a yeast infection. Treated it and it made it 10x worse. I started getting red and swollen and extremely more itchy. After two days of being itchy and sore it slowly began to burn worse and worse to urinate. That's when I decided to sit down in front of a mirror and investigate. It looked like little lacerations in spots. Over the next 12 hours it completely blew up into blisters and sores. I had to have a catheter put in because I couldn't pee anymore it was entirely too painful. I was diagnosed with hsv1 from oral sex.. your symptoms and experience sounds like herpes but as far as the "rare infection caused by herpes" goes I'm not sure what the doctor is talking about. Took about 4 days once I started on my valacyclovir for it to start clearing up.. If you start taking it before sores appear because they say you can feel an outbreak coming on then it's more effective. If you're already into an outbreak and start taking it it's not quite as effective. It also doesn't relieve the pain.. I've only had my one outbreak so this probably hasn't been much help.
    • Posted

Yea

I think that rare infection" bit is odd as well

I do want to say to sweetheart that i also had the burning with yeast meds like jordan is describing. Just in case you are trying to sort things out

I got an extra dose of burning if i used metrogel or yeast cream.

• Posted

Well nothing else but herpes makes sense otherwise why treat me with Valtrex which is only used for herpes, cold sores or shingles and I'm pretty sure I don't have shingles. Lol (at least I don't think so)
    • Posted

My doctor prescribed me another cream for the yeast but I didn't bother to pick it up. She's been out of town all this past week and I had to explain I saw the other doctor in her office and that he's basically just guessing what I have because he swore I didn't have herpes but I'm pretty sure I proved him wrong. I agree it's probably not a good idea to use the cream, do you know of a pill form that might work? I actually used pill form last week for the yeast but it was only one pill but it didn't work and the cream last week was for bacterial vaginosis which turned my watery discharge into yeast discharge and now it's kind of back to watery but thicker slightly so I think that's the yeast because they said I still had that and it currently still needs to be treated. I stopped my antibiotics they gave me because I don't have anything that it's used for IMO. I tested negative for the remaining stds they check through cultures and it was giving me diarrhea I'm pretty sure and before this happened I already had major stomach issues this year due to a dairy allergy and I finally have they under control so I can't do anything that's going to upset my stomach like that. I'm also thin and too many loose stools will make me lose weight quickly and I'm still trying to gain 10 more pounds. On another note I took my third dose of antibiotics tonight. I went all day without being itchy so I thought that was a plus until a few hours ago my left side was itchy. I've been itchy now at two weeks straight. Not bad but always there, the redness is always there but no changes in my physical outside appearance it just looks like I have a rash. I believe I have sores but I can't see them for the life of me. I think I've seen a couple but they look shiny and more like I cut myself during shaving although I've already read sometimes that's exactly what that is and how it sometimes look. Overall I'm just waiting for this to get better. The only time I had burning at all during this is when they check my cervix. I think they touch things and then I'll burn the sores I guess when I'm using the restroom but by evening I'm ok again. My symptoms seem to just be staying the same. Not worse, not better, just there but I'd consider what I've experienced very minimal so far compared to what I've read. I am spotting mildly every afternoon. Sometimes when I wipe there are just spots of blood so I assume that's from the sores I can't see and other times it looks like it's from my discharge. I know the inside of my cervix something is majorly going on so I think that's why I'm still spotting. Was hoping the Valtrex would clear it up before I go back on Monday but I'm still as red as I was on day one when all this happened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.