yellow spot on submandibular gland

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having trouble with a few salivary glands both sides. I had a swelling on the right side last year and then started to feel like a slither of glass on the left submandibular gland a few months after that.

I went to my gp who gave me antibiotics and said the gland was infected. After taking them I got frequent swellings after meals and a blocked sensation in ear.

I was messing one day looking with a mirror and could see plainly the slither sticking through my gland so I sucked lemons, watched you tubes of stone removals and removed the stone myself. My face swelling took a day or so to go down and I kept the stone. I went back to my gp who referred me to max facial to check for anymore.

I had a silogram done in December and although the man was adamant there was a stone, he said he could see it, afterwards he said it was ok??

My swelling keeps happening now and a yellow spot on the gland keeps popping up. I am due to go back to max facial next week as they did say if I could not manage it they would have no option than to remove the gland.

I don't want the gland removing if it's just a stone but surely the silogram would have seen it? Could they do any other test to look for another stone because I know there is definitely one in there. We can all see it except max facial said not?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi karenskip. I didn't want the gland removed either but I had to get both of mines removed and it was the best thing I've done concerning this. They could see multiple stones in my glands and they were so embedded that they could not reach them. An ultrasound showed that there were multiple stones. My pain was really bad and that was because I waited too long sucking on sour candy and lemons hoping they would come out on their own. 

• Posted

Hi jr1101

Thanks for the reply.

I am due to go back to max facial next week but I had a silogram done back in December and they said my gland had no more stones but when the man was putting the tube in he said he could see one, after he said it was ok.

I know there is one left in there as my dentist has seen it, a yellow spot keeps surfacing and my gland swells too. It's painful also. I was told when I went to max facial for the results that the only option if this keeps happening is to remove the gland.

When I had the stone that I removed myself I also had lymph nodes all around my head and neck up, they stayed up for months but after removing the stone they began to subside. Max facial said it was a coincidence??

My stone was very sharp and pointed so it was probably just a fragment. I am adamant there is more in there. Is there any other scan they can do before removing my gland. I had surgery to that side for a cholesteatoma a couple of years ago which left me with facial weakness.

• Posted

Hi I was just wondering were in your mouth could you see your stone? Iv had a swollen node on the right side of my neck just below the jaw for 9 month now, dr's keep telling me I'm fine but since coming across another discussion I'm sure this is my problem. 
    • Posted

Hi stephanie

My swelling in the mouth is under my tongue. This makes a gland swell under my chin. I can see it and feel it after eating. I have had quite a few swellings over the last year too from behind the ear, above the ear side of my head and back of my head. At one time a few months ago I had about 6 swellings and one node on the side of my neck too. I think the salivary gland stone had caused a deeper infection because after I got the stone out they began to subside. Max facial said it was coincidence. My gland keeps swelling now though still and I think there is more stone in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.