Yes! Reached 7.5mg

Posted , 11 users are following.

Ha! I am so chuffed! I have reached 7.5 daily. That's 8 days running now... Thanks to you Eileen and your DSNS method. Fingers crossed it remains good. No pain just ridiculous tiredness and breathlessness. That I can cope with, annoying as it is.

I started on 15mg in July 2014 after nearly a year without a diagnosis, and am now thinking that it is possible that with this method of reduction I would have been able to come down more quickly, but who knows.... I started DSNS when I was having trouble getting down from 10mg in June. It's been straight forward ever since. Now, I know that it may well become more difficult from now on, but at least I have something to believe in. I am alone in this, apart from all you guys, because my GP isn't interested unless I reduce really quickly, so I don't see her. I arranged for blood tests now and again when I was planning a reduction or I had some pain but they've been normal since I started Prednisolone. She says, of course they are! The amount of steroids you are taking! Oh dear, I was doing my best to get them down.

Anyway, enough moaning about her! I'm doing ok thanks to your help and advice. And right now jubilant to have reached 7.5. Am going to stay on this dose for a couple of weeks more because I am going to Norway to visit my daughter and her very lively Viking boys on Thursday and I will need all the steroids I can get.... Hehe...

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you need to up the dose, do so whilst with very lively Viking boys and just remember it was those Vikings what done it.

When you get back and settled down, ask for a synacthen test.  You need and Endochronoligist for this test.   You GP will probably ask why, tell him you need to know if your adrenal glands are starting to wake up.

• Posted

Thanks Lodger! Believe me I have told these Norwegians that this is all their fault!... Good idea about the synacthen test. I thought this might be a bit early, no?
    • Posted

No, not early although some like to wait till 5mg.

I did not know about the test and I had it 6 months after I stopped taking pred.  The Acute Medical Consultant went daft and said it should have been done earlier  (I was in hospital for another problem).  It was done and everything was tickety boo.  That Consultant said - and I have never forgotten it, that people who have been on long-term pred should have that test before they stop taking pred. 

Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing comes to mind.rolleyes

• Posted

Not really - this, or a bit higher, is the point about which the adrenals have to start to contribute again and that could well be the reason for your fatigue now if it wasn't a problem earlier.

Obviously you have a bit of a twerp of a GP - will she be helpful about the synacthen test do you think? If not, just slow down a bit more - and watch out for any increasing tiredness which is really the first sign of poor adrenal function.

Have I asked before - where in Fife?

• Posted

Honestly - I don't understand why doctors don't appear to understand you need it long BEFORE you get to zero - since after about 5mg is where you will have trouble and by the time you've got to zero you could be in REAL trouble!
    • Posted

Eileen

I learned the hard way and that is why I keep on saying 'sync test' early as possible.  I had a steep learning curve, as you well know - over the past 8 years.

Patients must be pro-active with long term chronic illnesses.  My mantra still is 'Knowledge is Power'.

Talk soon.

• Posted

Hi Lodger,

i am currently at 8mg (for over 2 months). I stayed at that dose because I was travelling.  I am now settling in and will begin my reduction to 7.5mg the end of next week.  Should I have the synacthen test done soon as a baseline?

thanks🌸

• Posted

We were probably all posting at the same time, so you will have read  Eileen and my comments by now.  Get it done - it is not a baseline, it is insurance or re-assurance. 
    • Posted

Hi Eileen! I am actually a Dundonian currently living in Craigrothie near Cupar. We have chatted before but I changed my name slightly to include Fife recently. 

I doubt my GP would be interested in organising a Synacthen test, she seems to find me having any knowledge about PMR and its treatment really annoying.... Shouldn't read what's said in these forums etc... !! She's the one who should!

Fatigue isn't something new for me and I happily fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Sometimes just for 10-20 minutes but I feel better for it.

Now that doesn't always include at night, that's a bit variable...

However, I was thinking that it was increasing. I will pay attention. I keep a sort of a diary recording how I am feeling etc.  

• Posted

Sheila

Have you joined or been in contact with PMR GCA Scotland a registered charity.?

• Posted

Yes a Lodger. I went to most of the support group meetings last winter. Was hoping to restart but my transport isn't as reliable as it was. Hopefully get to some of them.
    • Posted

Glad to hear you joined, the founder is a close friend.

Lodger was the name of a well loved long living cat, she was meant to stay 6 weeks and stayed 17 years.

• Posted

Yes, I knew we'd chatted before but couldn't remember if I'd asked where you are in Fife.

She needs some education - because, strangely, there are an awful lot of people these days who are as capable as her of reading medical publications so we don't all come up with noddy science! That attitude is SO last century...

• Posted

Just a thought, download the British Society of Rheumatologsts Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of both PMR and GCA and put them in an envelope and leave them on her desk at your next appointment.  Maybe a  idea   moment.!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I was actually going to try somebody else next time! Mind you, she is the GP designated for Women and the elderly... Hahaha... You would think.... Wouldn't you?....😁
    • Posted

Yes. Last time we spoke we talked about Dundee and your history there. You also pointed me at their lovely Support Group.

Ach the doc is hopeless! Actually she just stresses and upsets me. In the beginning my daughter always came with me but then I thought I'd be ok and went alone and came out in such a state! So insulting and patronising! And not allowing me to have any say in my treatment. (Or so she thought....) my daughter will come with me if there is a next time. With this condition you feel weak and literally dis abled enough!

Planning to try a different GP if I can, next time I need them. Goodness knows what she has written my notes though!

i haven't been for a long time and unless I go to speak about the Syncathen test or I become ill with something else, I will just continue to request my repeat prescriptions as I need them. I also request blood tests now and again. So I am ok for now without them! 

• Posted

She SHOULD be monitoring you with 6 monthly bloods - looking for raised cholesterol and sugar at the very least so she obviously isn't on top of her job. But if you feel like that about her you definitely need a different contact there - if you can't relate to your doctor and they to you you will get nowhere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.