Yet another interesting ME/CFS study

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm including a link to yet another ME/CFS study, which was published in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine. This study found, through PET scans, nerve cells in CFS patiends inflammed throughout the brain. This makes a lot of sense to me, as I've been having intense nerve symptoms for several months now. I only wish they would study a larger group of people. Here's the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24665088

This study again confirms that there is a physical, and NOT a psychological, basic for ME/CFS.

6 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This seems to make sense. I was diagnosed with ME for 5 years before recently being diagnosed with a brain tumor thought to be the cause of my illness all along.

I also know somebody else who had ME like symptoms for years before they suddenly died of a brain hemorrhage. The post mortem showed that they had a berry anyurism that could have been there for a long time.

I know this is just a small amount of anecdotal evidence but think it's a line of investigation that should certainly be persued with ME.

My advice to anyone who's been diagnosed with ME is to go to their doctor and demand a referral for an MRI scan to at least rule out the possibility of any neurological abnormalities. The earlier these things are found the more likely they can be effectively treated.

• Posted

You advice is spot-on. And I'm so sorry about your experience. We have to advocate for ourselves, or bring in a close friend to advocate for us. Sadly, many doctors don't make the time, simply can't be bothered, or are downright ignorant.
    • Posted

Absolutely right. I've seen many different doctors over the past 5 years and while some are decent there are others who are just patronizing bullies who treat you like you're making it up or imagining it.
  • Posted

I had a car accident, not been same since Christmas 2011, then got dx with ME/CFS Nov 13, maybe due to brain being shaken by the impact!
  • Posted

I was told I had M.E nearly twenty years ago.  Since then I have been treated for mental illness. and ME is very rarely mentioned by my health providers.

I have been stuck at home for months now and most people believe that I am depressed and that I should 'work on' making an effort to get myself out.

I AM Depressed. By the total lack of understanding .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.