Yo Yo effect

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

My history is that I was diagnosed with PMR in April of this year after suffering for about a year prior. Placed on 15 mg prednisone and obtained a dramatic improvement. Have since reduced to 11mg where I am relatively comfortable. Started the Dead Slow method to try to reduce to 10mg and had no problem until I got to 1day 10mg  2days 11mg. (I was OK with 1day 10mg and 3 days 11mg). This has happened to me on two occasions so I am sticking with 1day 10 and 3 days 11 for a few weeks. I'm thinking the next time I should try to go from 1day 10.5 and 2 days 11.  

Appreciate any thoughts on my situation.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Scott, the beauty of the Dead Slow approach to tapering is that we can stop anywhere along the way for as long as it needs to keep symptoms away.  If you are flaring at a particular point it just means that that dose is a little too low to keep on top of the inflammation at the time.  You are wise to stick at the 1 day at 10 and 3 days at 11 for another few weeks, or however long you need, following which your suggestion of trying just a 0.5mg reduction may prove more successful next time around - with any luck your body won't notice the tiny reduction taking place.  The 10mg point does prove to be a sticking point for many.  Another oft tricky dose from which to reduce is 5mg - that is the point at which I had to continue in 0.5mg decrements.  Good luck next time around! 

• Posted

Thanks for the confirmation. I think that game plan seems logical. So back to 1x10 and 3x11 for a few weeks then will give it another shot in .5mg increments.
  • Posted

Could someone please put that Dead Slow method on this posting?

Thank you!

• Posted

Really always better to use the smallest step-down you can. And if you struggle - repeat the stage you have got to that works for a few times (or more). 

But if it has happened a few times then it probably signals the PMR is still fairly active - stick where you are for a month or two before trying again. It isn't a race, PMR came when it wanted, it will go when it wants and the same applies to the activity of the cause. You are at the dose you need for now - it doesn't mean you won't get lower, just maybe not yet.

• Posted

Hi Scotth42,

Im going through the exact same thing now, started on 15 mil of pred in Feb of this year, now at 10 mil and getting a horrible flare up but confused by this tapering method. My rheumy has me tapering by 2&1/2 mil every 4 weeks and at 12&1/2 mil I was about 90% ok now at the 10 mil Im really starting to feel the pain again in groin, neck & upper thighs. I posted for some info as to tapering the way you mentioned an waiting to hear from others here. Good luck!

Sharon

• Posted

If you look just 2 posts higher up you will see the link I posted about the slow reduction approach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.