you CAN wear underwear during surgery / general anaesthetics

Posted , 5 users are following.

UNLESS your surgery is ON your breasts / genitals / bum ...

you CAN wear underwear during surgery

i've had surgery on my groin (bikini line) and still wore undergarments!

ladies: NO metal, unwired, sports bra / crop top / bikini top

ugly knicks (they may get stained) No metal

lads: ugliest pair of boxers (they may get stained)

crappy arguments to ignore:

"they need to stick ecg stickers on your chest for monitoring" - ok cool go on then. easily done with a bra on (i am proof)

"its easier to not have them incase of an emergancy and we have to waste time cutting them off" - plz tell me what kind of emergancy involves my genitals and breasts?

"they are professionals they are focusing on the task" - ok how does that involve my genitals and breasts?

"they operate on all different types, shapes, sizes of people everyday they've seen it all" - so? my body. i dont need or want them to see anything they dont need to thats my right

"you'll be asleep you wont even know or care" - i'm not okay with them seeing these areas of my body even when i'm awake! why the heck should i be ok with it whilst im unconscious!?

"your underwear will get stained/dirty especially if you need a catheter" - ok cool'll bin them. how long is my surgery? do i REALLY NEED a catheter? no. you do not have my permission to use one.

let me know if you've been given or found some more reasons against this. i wrote this because i am a big boobed (that means lying down in surgery with a flat chest because my boobs are besides my armpits), self conscious, overweight female suffering with anxiety whose anxiety levels went through the rooth before my surgery as i was panicking about not being able to wear my undergear

the nurses told me i couldn't but i insisted. if you are someone who's too not happy with the idea of being comando under your gown whilst being unconsious with a bunch of people surrounding you. insist to. just wear them.

worst case scenario they "cut them off during an emergancy" which they need to document. so it really will be an emergancy or you can sue them.

hope this helps someone like me smile

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Omg I feel you!! I went in for gallbladder surgery and I had just got my period that day! They wouldn't let me wear a tampon or my underwear! They have me mesh panties and a pad sort of thing which helped before surgery but not after! I had to lie on my side because i was afraid it would go everywhere, which it did because they didn't change the pad at all durning my 2 hour surgery. Thanks for nothing...
    • Posted

ah i am actually so sorry to hear that! i really feel so sorry for you i would have been so embaressed. they are such dicks, this stuff really frustrates me! its all about whats easiest for them and never about our modesty. make sure you stand up for yourself next time! just refuse! 
  • Posted

I had two surgerys in the past six years. One only last week. I was told I needed to remove undergarments. I questioned the pre-op nurse the reason I needed to remove my panties when my surgery was on my neck. She gave me disposable panties. I was happy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.