Young adult suffering from horrible heartburn and a due to a hiatal hernia! Please help :)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so a bit of a background on my situation. At 22 years of age I went through a stressful time in my life where I lost about 20 pounds because was not eating much. Stress lasted about a year and was down to 100 pounds at 5'5. Well at 23 started to experience horrible heartburn and reflux, got an endoscopy and found out I had a small hiatal hernia. Well I took prilosec 20mg which helped a lot but never really eliminated the issue. I managed to gain 35 pound (yayyyy)! Because of all that I was reading about the pill, I wanted off. So I tried to wean my self off and it was hard! Took apple cider vinegar but didnt help much. Well I gave up and went back on the pill (prilosec 20mg). The problem is that its not working sad!! My doc recommended I take it twice a day which I am but still no luck. Could I have caused myself an ulcer? could it be my gallbladder? All these questions are running through my head and I feel like its about to explode. I have been studying for my NCLEX, which I took today and think I passed smile. So maybe the stress was causing the flare up. But my diet is soooo good! I eat really healthy food and infact have been doing research on eating healthy and food for about three years. I am gluten free/ and eat paleo most of the time as well. So any advice for me!! I want to feel better and eventually in the future I want to try getting off the drug again!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiatus hernia is very popular amongst the population and can exacerbate reflux by impeding the lower oesphageal sphincter.

There are two issues that need to be addressed - acid and reflux. They do not necessarily always go together.

Dealing with acid is the easier task (though not necessarily easy!) You need to identify your own particular trigger foods. We are all different and react to foods differently. Keep a food diary. It's all very well saying you eat healthily but for some people what we would think of as a healthy item could actually be a trigger food - and, unless you have a gluten intolerance, gluten free may not help and the evidence for paleo is mixed to say the least. If you cannot control acid hypersecretion through your diet, the PPIs, like omeprazole., are the best way of doing it but they are powerful drugs that must be taken correctly - every day at the same time (half an hour before breakfast is best) at th elowest effective dose and monitored by a doctor). They are amongst the safest drugs and the scare stories result from misuse (people thinking they are an on-demand drug like Tums) and over use. 20mg omeprazole is a low (maintenance) dose.

You're unlikely to have an ulcer. If so PPIs are excellent in dealing with it.

Your harder task will be to tackle reflux. Avoid eating too late: leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks and sleep on your left side.

Good luck. I have had reflux problems all my life (I'm now 67). For me, fundoplication a few years ago was the eventual cure.

• Posted

Ok I was on omperazole 20 than I started taking it twice a day and nothing! Well yesterday I tried nexium over the counter and seemed to really help! I didnt have that feeling of food getting stuck! And ive read a lot about these drugs and their effect on bones, b12 and mag. Did you go on any supplments while tou were on these?
    • Posted

PPIs at high dose over a long period can induce hypochlorhydria resulting in malabsorptio of essential minerals and reduction in protection against bacterial infection.

For the latter, it's recommended to take probiotics. I have a yoghurt drink every day anyway.

When I was on 80mg omeparzole for a few years, I became anaemic through malabsorption of iron and took iron supplements prescribed by my doctor (higher level than available ot health food shops).

• Posted

Hi.............Ive apparently achieved this common affliction of hiatus hernia also...........Since coming off the ameprazol because of  its well documented and much discussed apparent side effects,Ive managed to control the reflux mostly with the help of gaviscon.(chewable tabs mostly),the advice on what you eat is sound.........in my case,eliminating simple triggers like chocolate and alcohol is a big step forward,apparently chocolate is one of the worst offenders,regarding alcohol tho,a simple drink like a pint of chandy can effect me .G
  • Posted

I found that my worst trigger was bread, in particular my lovely apparently healthy home-made bread! So I eliminated it altogether and it has made a huge difference. I also found that ranitidine (zantac) was the only thing that worked when my reflux was at its worst, after months on omeprazole and lanzoprazole which didn't work at all and even seemed to make the reflux worse. I took 300mg of ranitidine a day for about 3 years and have come down to 150mg at night now. Soon I will reduce even further, but the acid has gone, and the reflux when it happens (bending down after a meal!) is not nearly so painful. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for that Chrissie............yes just a case of learning what works for yourself really........several light meals apparently helps with some people,rather than 'fill oneself to capacity'  once or twice per day!

Good luck to you too.thanks.G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.