Zero pain after 5th metatarsal fracture reduction - is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I broke my 5th metatarsal back in June and together with Dr made the decision to treat it conservatively. After 4 months however, I was still uncomfortable, and on going back for an Xray it appeared the fracture was still non union and so we made the decision to do the surgery.

This Tuesday (8th) i hade the bone screwed back together and a bone graft from my heel bone into the joint. I was warned by different people including the dr and nurses that the recovery can be pretty painful and I should definitely be heavily relying on pain medication for the first couple weeks. 

I wasnt in any pain but I took codeine the day after my op however it made me really dizzy and disorientated so moved to just paracetamol. 4 days after the op I had still experienced no pain so have stopped any kind of pain medication alltogether.

It has now been almost a week and i have not experienced any pain. If i had to rate it I would say I was at a 0.5 out of 10 with most of this just being discomfort from being in a plaster cast. I can wiggle my toes with no issue and have tried putting a small amount of weight on the foot and nothing - all I get it a slight tingling sensation which feels like someone is pouring a trickle of water down the side of my foot. My toes are a blueish colour however I have alwasy had poor ciruculation so this isnt too abnormal for me.

Should I be concerned about nerve damage or ciruclation issues or anything else? Or am i just very lucky? I was in agony when I first broke my foot initially - once even fainting from the pain. So while I'm relieved I'm not going through that again I want to be sure that no pain isnt something I should be worried about.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Olive I would say that its a good thing, can you feel your toes OK, they haven't gone completely numb?? Also your feet are possibly bluefish because to get circulation through feet and legs you have to walk so muscles in the soles of your feet push blood round.

If your really worried you could call your GP or speak to surgeons secretary, well done for being out of pain so soon, I think LOL

• Posted

Greetings Olive,  I also broke the 5th metatarsal on my right foot back in late February.  It was very painful and I couldn't walk at all with the pain.  I went to the ER because there was no improvement over 3-4 hours of ice and elevation.  I was put into a boot and after around 3 days had no more pain with walking even without the boot.  When I followed up with an orthopedist after a week I was surprised, because I thought I was doing very well, that I had to go into a non weight bearing cast.  I still didn't have any pain.  I strictly followed the ortho's directions about being NWB because he said that's what is needed for the bone to heal.  After 4 weeks in the NWB cast I went into a high boot both during the day and night for 4 weeks.  That change was painful but not at the fracture site it was in my ankle from the hard plastic boot front cinched too tightly around my ankle.  I slept in the boot but without the front plastic shell and had no pain.  PT followed and I really worked at itl.  No pain around the fracture with PT.  Over the weeks I did have swelling and ever changing bruising.  I did develop a slight limp in the boot because of the thickness of the sole compaired to my good foot.  I have been pain free, in the area of the fracture, after the first few days and am totally back to normal now with all activities as before the Jones fracture including step aerobics and zumba.  BTW I turned 70 yesterday.  I think I was very lucky and I also worked very hard toward recovery.  It sounds like you are also lucky and doing very well.  I don't think your toes are blue because of a lack of circulation.  You had surgery and that is an insult on your body.  Surgery is not gentle.  There is cutting and pulling and tugging and bleeding etc.  That blood is trapped and it will settle in the lowest part of your body like your toes until your body reabsorbs it.  I thought the bruising was strange too, because if I banged my shin then that spot would turn black and blue but with this fracture I never knew what part of my foot would turn blue next.  It was like one blue toe "infected" the next one and then the next.  I also wondered, since the fracture was on the outside metatarsal of my foot, why I ended up with a very narrow bruise on the opposite side of my foot all the way from my heel forward to the base of my big toe. Just like someone took a blue marking pen and drew that line.  Weird.  I can say that full recovery takes longer than one would like and it is hard work so HOORAY if it is pain free.  I didn't take the pain meds I was given either.  I did take Advil some of the time.  Best of luck with your progress and if you do have questions, as Alexandria advises, call your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Olive; yes I can understand your concerns; for although No pain, the fact that you have already got "bad circulation issues", then this could be something that needs to be looked at.  Try "pinching" the end of your toe, (hoping there is some jutting out of the end of the plaster), and see if the colour changes at all?  Perhaps even try lightly pricking the end of your toe with a pin that has been sterilized through a naked flame/boiled  water, and see if you feel this pain?   and check that "both" feet have the same level of pain/reaction to the stimuli? 

?If you are still not happy with the answers, then I would suggest ringing your surgeon's rooms and asking for a "follow-up" appt now, instead of the usual time. (and make sure you are listened to).    Let us know what happens.                     Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.