Zolpidem Withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 61 yrs old securely employed married male. For at least 3 years I've been on prescribed Zolpidem and Amitriptyline to get any sleep at night.I've been experiencing short term memory loss for the last few months. Over the Christmas break, my wife said I was like a zombie, and I was very aware of this, and I also realised I was using 2 or 3 10mgm (20 or 30mgms per night) Zolpidem each night - an ever-increasing dependency.

We went and saw my GP last Thursday 30/12/10 and asked how I could get off Zolpidem - various solutions were put forward. The way I decided is best for me is \"cold turkey\". I've not had any Zolpidem since the night of Wednesday last week. I've felt like absolute s**t every day since, getting to sleep at 5, 6, 7 am and sleeping extremely strange patterns, but I think I'm slowly getting there, went to bed and sleep this morning Thursday 6th January at 0430, and woke at 1030 and actually felt like getting up and about (I've not felt like that for years).

I'll carry on adding to this posting on a daily/weekly (see how it goes) basis as to my progress, but I may be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It is advised in different sites that you shouldn't go \"cold turkey\" off Zolpidem, but I know the weaning off using Diazepam was not the route for me, I'd probably have ended up dependent (addicted) to both and in a worse place than I already was in!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well done to you! For you obviously have recognised that with these pills, the cure is much worse than the illness!

It must have been really hard for you to work feeling so comma-tossed...It must be awful now too... feeling as bad as you do and still working!

Maybe it is because you are a man, that you have the courage to stop the pills, I wonder? So many women stay dependant for years and if they do stop, think the side effects are illness etc and so return to the meds.

You are also right not to go down the Diazepam route...for they are addictive too. All these pills are insidiously destructive. Unless taken for only very short periods...(In the immediate case of bereavement for instance)

There is no good way off. You are probably feeling some withdrawal! Once you have managed to stop, it is dangerous to start again and should only be given in a quarter measure gradually building up. This applies to most medications that act on the brain.

I am impressed and will keep a look out for your progress, Good Luck!

• Posted

I am 60 and going cold-turkey after45 days of 5-10mg zolpidem...I did not sleep a wink last (first) night..It does affect me hard because I just went thru Alprazolam detox..Tell me the first nite is the only nite I will go sleepless???
  • Posted

I am 60 and going cold-turkey after45 days of 5-10mg zolpidem...I did not sleep a wink last (first) night..It does affect me hard because I just went thru Alprazolam detox..Tell me the first nite is the only nite I will go sleepless???
  • Posted

• Posted

I would be very interested to know how your withdrawal from Zolpidem has gone and whether you succesfully came off it. I am writing a non-ficition piece about the drug and the effects it can have for a university project and also have personal experience of it. I'd be very grateful for any information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.