ZONISAMIDE---unexpected seizure after 14 clear months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was enjoying a meal out with my wife & daughter on Nov. 8th, when without warning, I blacked out for 10 mins. On coming to, I refused 999 treatment & finished my meal, before returning home on the tube.

We have reported these happenings to my GP. I continue to feel fine & believe the problem resulted from an inadequate, long-term intake of water. I have now started to see sense for not drinking enough.Two 3 mile walks in the week before the seizure probably didn't help!

Barry (aged 71)

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barry,

new to epilepsy myself having been diagnosed 09/09/2015.

so do you feel that dehydration brought your seizure on?

Allen

• Posted

Hi Allen,

Definitely. I have not drunk enough water for most of my life---despite my wife's advice!  I am optimistic that given time, extra water will also diminish the side effects that zonisamide has given me.

Barry

• Posted

Hey Barry,

makes perfect sense....I myself rarely if ever drink water.

coca cola and coffee....

not so much coffee but lots of the soda...

2500 mil of keppra a day.

gives me something else to consider.....

• Posted

How long have you been taking Zonisamide?

I get this with drugs where I'm okay for a while when I start a new drug then once the honeymoon period is over I go back to square one.

I have asked several times why and never got a proper answer. Been told also I have drug resistant epilepsy.

I tried Zonisamide 3 years ago, didn't suit.

I hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Never had a seizure 'til I was 65. Then I was hospitalised for 5weeks. Ended up on Phenytoin, Leviteracetam & Clobazam.  Then nearly4 yrs seizure-free before things kicked off again & back in hospital. Given Zonisamide Sept 2014, but loads of side effects.

No seizures though 'til last Sunday in a London restaurant.

Have diagnosed myself & blame it on not drinking enough water.

Barry

• Posted

Yeah, you're right. I've had it for 44 years, and hate it.

Best wishes

Karen

• Posted

Barry

It may make sense that dehydration might cause a seizure. Meds are processed through the liver and without enough water, there’s a chance that your body isn’t getting the full effects of the med. Water also helps flush out toxins. I’ve never had a Dr tell me to drink plenty of water. But it seems like Dr’s only give you pills. I think all these meds damage the liver so keeping hydrated is important.

If you decide to eat soups to help fill in fluid intake, avoid ones with MSG. Also avoid diet drinks, most contain aspartate (NutraSweet, aspartame…) which has been associated with seizures. Too much caffeine can cause some people to dehydrate (urinate) and dehydrate the body. I’m not giving up my coffee. I drink water during the day.

Dr’s also don’t test for vit deficiencies and my Dr really believe in vits. I take a B complex for nerves, a calcium supplement (some meds remove calcium from the bones), vit D, omega-3 fatty acids (flaxseed or fish oil).

Steve 

• Posted

Hi Steve, interesting information about diet drinks, I didn't know that, I always drink Diet Pepsi, probably give it up and see if it makes a difference? I don't drink a lot of water, so I'll increase my intake of it.

Karen

😊

• Posted

Hi Barry,

Mine started when I was 14 too many years to count back on lol

Sainsbury do a nice lemonade without Aspartme as my daughter reads all the labels for me, bless her.

I hope you feel better and not too tired as I was on Keppra and they zonked me out.   Now keep taking the water if unsure xx  I was also on Epanutin but had to keep having ulrasounds on kidneys/liver, then my gums shrunk !!  so now have gaps in teeth !!  Hope you don't have anymore xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.