Zopiclone and an upper respiratory infection

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on zopiclone for over a year and want to get off it, every time I stop taking it (even for one day) I get extremely dizzy and develop an upper respiratory infection which is so bad the hospital thought I had copd and prescribed Prednisone.

It seems that the lowest dose I can take is 1/2 a 7.5, if I take a 1/4 the dizziness and infection return.

I'm at my wit's end, my doctor doesn't believe that zopiclone can cause this.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

There's a link somewhere on this site about tapering off zopiclone.  Look for it and take it to your doctor.  

I wish i could could stop taking zopiclone I've been raking it for 10 years now and am prescribed 2x 7.5 per night.  

Its a a terrible drug and I'm ashamed to say it controls my life 

• Posted

When you say it controls your life, how? Side effects?

How do you obtain such a high dosage so often?

I have been taking it for about 8-12 weeks, Dr's refuse to prescribe more but it really helps me sleep. Am afraid of the longer term but it's great for now.

• Posted

During a period of depression 10 years ago I was prescribed 1 7.5 per day but after a period of maybe 9-12 months I found myself taking more and running out.  The feeling when I've run out is one of despair, feeling bad, sore heads, sometimes hilucinations and anxious.

my consultant then increased it to 2 a day but in all honestly some times I take more.  Really depends on the brand.

cant believe I've been on zopiclone for 10 years now.  I also get them elsewhere which is not the answer.  Short term the drug was great, it still is it's just the addiction I hate.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I will do my best to reduce off them fast.

Thanks for sharing!

• Posted

No , No do NOT come off them fast.

They need to be tapered off slowly.

Trust me I know what I am talking about.

• Posted

come off slowly. I am still on it n have been on for 2 yrs.  I was prescribed for 1x7.5mg first then went up to 4x7.5mg n loss control went all the way to 8 pills.  Now Im down to 2x7.5mg and have been cutting down 1/4 pill every 4-5 days.  You will go through anxiety and panic attack but try to cope with it and your body will start get used to the new dosage.  NEVER try to go back to your pre-cut level as this will jeopardize your efforts of weaning it off.  
  • Posted

To those that want to come of them.

They need to be tapered slowly and there is a forum where they wil help you.

They mainly deal with helping people come off benzos.

It is benzo buddies and you will need a gmail address to join.

Good luck and it can be done.

i came off my benzos and glad that I did.

• Posted

I don't believe it either. You must have some other undiagnosed condition.

• Posted

Vivian believe me zopiclone and other prescribed drugs can cause lots of issues when you try coming off them.

They can also cause problems for some and say some long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.