Zopiclone - getting it in proportion

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have read a lot of emotive comments on this forum, and I would just like to add the other side of the discussion.

All drugs affect different people in different ways. We all know for example that some people can take their drink, while others become alcoholics.

So it is with Zopiclone.   I have taken it for 15 years because I am a long term insomniac.  But I have never increased the dose from 7.5mg per night.

If I feel it is not working then I miss a night, usually a Saturday, then get a terrible night of little sleep. But on Sunday night the pill works better than ever.

It is important to take the pills at the right time, and that is about an hour before your sleeping time.  The worst thing you can do is take one when you dont want to sleep, such as during the day, as a calming effect. These pills are not like Valium etc, and will not have that effect.  You will develop anxiety and more stress and feel very emotionally unstable if you do that.

The one thing that everyone agrees on is that it is very difficult to come off Zopiclone.  I would not advise the cold turkey approach, as you will experience extreme loss of sleep, alarming dreams and find it very hard to function.

There are several therapies available which will assist you to come of the Zopiclone, but I understand they usually involve taking another drug as a substitute, then you are slowly weened of the substutute drug.

But there is one point to think about. If like me you were a chronic insomniac before you started the Zopiclone, then you might just be one again, after you come off it.

So is it what you really want to do, or do you really want to just have the pills work as they should do, for sleeping only?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim dandy.  I agree with everything you have said. I also am a long term insomniac.  I have taken sleeping pills since the 1960's starting with barbiturates, but now, like you I take one zopiclone 7.5mg per night.

i generally find that dose is ok although I have the odd night when it doesn't work and if that happens I just doze and feel a bit tired the next day.

i have tried to get of them but couldn't do it with mirtazapine. Luckily I can still get them prescribed by gp.  

I wouldn't dream of taking them during the day, what's the point of feeling woozy in daytime. Can't understand people who do that . Don't have much energy as it is. 

• Posted

You are very lucky to  still being prescribed Zopiclone.   Up until 2yrs ago I had been taking Zopiclone for about 20 years, when I was called in by my GP who told me that the Goverment had decided that no one needed Zopicline. At that time I had been taking 2x7.5 mg tablets per night.  He told me that I had to cut down to one a night, which caused me a considerrable amount of distress, and after about 3 monthe they were discontinued.  No follow up no assistance, just dumped.   I have not seen that GP since and continue to distrust GPs and would have to be desparate to visit another one  I started buying them on the internet. but his has become not an option.   (I was 82  when this occurred, not a good time of life to be put in this situation. )  
    • Posted

How did you get on with them from the Internet? And which site did you use please? Just incase I need to get them this way in the future! Thank you.
  • Posted

ZOPLICONE..........BEAT THAT HABIT COLD TURKEY! It all started in 2004 when I was working midnights...it got me high before bed. Ruined my life to the point my dose escalated to 15mg. Then in 2013 it got bad where I was Doctor shopping. Tried getting it anyway possible till they caught on. I was abusing it. Packed my clothes, drove to the hospital.......cold turkey. Got a few electrical brain shocks and depression but I can sleep naturally now.  It's more mental than anything. 10 YEAR ADDICT!
    • Posted

Hi. Are you in the u.k.  If you go cold turkey here, you are more or less left to get on with it.  They substitute it with antidepressants. And then it's up to you. Believe me, I have tried.
    • Posted

I am in Canada. I had no choice. Doctors are more concerned with their asses and liability. It's not for everyone but I had no choice. Are you trying to come off them?
    • Posted

No, not anymore. I tried it as doc wanted me to come of them. Changed surgeries and doctor who was more sympathetic, but every month I wonder if I will be called in for a review.  They really want you to get of them here because of the abuse.  I am a long term user and seventy years old, so maybe they will let me carry on with them.  Well done for getting of them though. It's such a hassle and worry knowing that you have to get them every month.   Good luck.
  • Posted

I have been taking zoplicone for 3-4 years between 3.75 to 7.5 mg per night.  I would like to get off them but know that this will not be easy.  Over the last 4 months or so i have been feeling very spaced out and nauseous and wonder if this is because of the long term use of the drug or are these symptoms of addiction? does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the horrible metallic taste they leave in the mouth?
  • Posted

Hi jimdandy,

I think I agree with you regarding Zopiclone.  I have taken one 7.5 dose every night for over 2 years and have not been tempted to increase this as it works, providing I take it on an empty stomach.  If I eat within 2 hours of taking it, it has no effect.  Interesting, but worth thinking about by those who find it ineffective sometimes.

I have not (yet!) been tempted to take it during the day, despite the fact that it does indeed have a calming effect and over a 24hr period I have many hours of anxiety.  

I am wondering if the zopiclone has increased this anxiety or is it part me and the life that has been dealt me, ie depression, abusive partner (no longer around), OCD (which was unheard of when I was a child, but I now realise I have), PTSD?, low self-esteem, no confidence (ever), etc etc.  Having read the side effects of zop some time ago, I believe some sort of psychosis is mentioned with long-term use.  

Your thoughts on this would be interesting.

Many thanks

jillyanne

• Posted

I meant to say if I eat with 2 hours BEFORE I take the zoplicone, it has no effect.

Regards

Jillyanne

• Posted

Hi JillyAnne

I am sorry to hear about the bad things that have have happened to you that have left you sleepless and anxious. But you did write an interesting response to me. 

First thing, you're absolutely right about eating within a couple of hours before taking the Zop.  The pill needs to reach the small intestine pretty quickly to work properly, so if there's a meal still in your stomach that won't happen.  With little or no food in the stomach it zips through and should act in 45 mins.  With food in place it will take 90 - 120 mins and works very poorly, if at all.

OCD is an interesting one. Is it an effect of the drug, or just enhancing the underlying personality?  I was always someone who got anxious about the small things being right, but that does seem to have become worse.   Example for me is if there's a speck of dirt on my car windscreen or mirror, I just have to clean it off, otherwise it annoys the hell out of me. Silly!

Depression is such a complex subject, and the one thing I observe is that everybody's depression is different. Personally I was always prone to bouts of depression, but not permanently depressed. Rather like on a grey morning everything seems sad and a bit hopeless, but with sunshine, some good company and so on, I wondered what I was depressed about. Maybe I'm bipolar - there's a name for every condition!  

But Zop seems to amplify the downside, so my downswings seem worse on this drug. 

It's all a balancing act, but in general if I get it right, things are okay.

Ideally I'd like to do without it, but life is never ideal.

Jimdandy

• Posted

I've been on them for 8 years! Taking upto 30mg a night, 7.5mg is my standard dose but can go upto 15mg if I really need, I'm in the UK

I'm having problems coming off it... I've spent 4 days awake with no sleep before, in 15 days I got about 2 hrs sleep

My gf left me last week because of my addiction, I'm 31 and in constant fear!

I also have a rash all over my body and wondering if this is due to the zop? Anyone else have a rash?

• Posted

Hi Daniel

I haven't heard about zopiclone causing a rash before.  Is it listed as a possible (rare) side effect on the leaflet which comes with the medication?

What else have you tried to help deal with your insomnia?  There is a lot of information and advice out there (probably too much).

I'm sorry to hear that your g/f  has left you.  Hopefully this community can offer you some support.

Best wishes

Roger

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.