This leaflet gives a brief summary of vasectomy.
See separate leaflet called Vasectomy for more detailed information.
Some key points
- Vasectomy is permanent - it is very difficult to undo.
- There is a small failure rate - rarely, the cut ends grow back together.
- Sex is not affected. Almost all semen is made in the seminal vesicle and prostate.
- The operation is easier than female sterilisation, and more effective.
- About eight weeks after the operation you will need to produce two semen tests about 3-6 weeks apart. If these are clear of sperm you will be given the all clear.
- You will need to use other forms of contraception, such as condoms, until you are told you are no longer at risk of making your partner pregnant.
Dr Tim Kenny
Dr Hayley Willacy
Now read about Sterilisation (Vasectomy and Female Sterilisation)