MindEd provides free mental health e-learning for anyone who works or volunteers with children, teenagers or young people. The MindEd programme includes free online CAMHS training, counselling courses and mental health resources for teachers and health professionals.
This session covers bullying and emotional child abuse in children, as well as single one-off traumas such as accidents, assaults or involvement in a disaster. It provides tools for psychological first aid and will help you to recognise and understand the range of reactions to trauma in children including flashbacks.
- Trauma exposure is common in young people.
- Traumatic stress reactions differ according to developmental stage.
- Most children do not develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); of those who do, many will recover without specialist help.
- A variety of factors increase the risk of developing chronic PTSD.
- Short-term talking therapy, such as Trauma-Focused cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), can have a powerful effect on treating PTSD and associated problems of trauma in children.
Access the full MindEd session here.
Content provided by MindEd. Author: Patrick Smith. Published: March 2014. Review: March 2017.