MindEd provides free mental health e-learning for anyone who works or volunteers with children, teenagers or young people. The MindEd programme includes free online CAMHS training, counselling courses and mental health resources for teachers and health professionals.
This session deals with stress, and anxiety disorders in children and teens and discusses how to react to them.
- All young people will worry or feel stressed from time to time. However, for some, the anxiety will persist and cause problems in their daily life, including anxiety disorders in children.
- Anxiety is a normal human emotion and serves as an important protective function.
- Anxiety in children becomes a problem when it overestimates the threat of the situation.
- Signs that anxiety has become a problem include not interacting in class, looking physically anxious and difficulty sleeping.
- Evidence-based treatments for anxiety in youth include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and sometimes medication.
Access the full MindEd session here.
Content provided by MindEd. Author: Eleanor Leigh. Published: March 2014. Review: March 2017.