Flumetasone and clioquinol ear drops are used to treat ear inflammation.
Unless you have been told otherwise, use two or three drops twice daily for 7-10 days.Be careful not to spill the drops - they can stain your skin, hair and clothes.
About flumetasone and clioquinol ear drops
|Type of medicine||An anti-infective and anti-inflammatory ear drop|
|Used for||Otitis externa in adults and in children over 2 years of age|
|Available as||Ear drops|
Ear drops containing flumetasone and clioquinol are used to treat inflammation of the outer ear, especially if it is thought an infection is causing the swelling. This happens in ear conditions such as otitis externa. Flumetasone reduces the inflammation, and clioquinol treats the infection.
Before using the ear drops
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine can only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you (or your child) start using the drops it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you have a burst (perforated) eardrum.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine, or to any other ear drops. It is particularly important that you tell you doctor if you have ever had a bad reaction to iodine.
- If you are taking or using any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
How to use ear drops
Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about the drops and will provide you with a full list of any side-effects which you may experience from using them.
- Wash your hands before you begin.
- Gently clean your ear with warm water and pat it dry.
- Remove the cap from the bottle of ear drops.
- Lie down, or tilt your head a little, so that the affected ear is facing upwards.
- Gently pull down on your earlobe to straighten the ear canal.
- Hold the container upside down near to the ear. Try not to touch the inside of your ear as you do this.
- Apply enough pressure to release two or three drops from the dropper into your ear.
- Keep your ear facing upwards for a few minutes to allow the solution to come into contact with the affected area.
- Repeat the process in your other ear if you have been asked to use the drops in both ears.
- Replace the cap on to the bottle of drops.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Use the drops exactly as you have been advised by your doctor. Your doctor will recommend you use the drops twice a day, morning and evening. Try not to miss any doses. If you forget to put the drops in at the usual time, do it as soon as you remember.
- Be careful not to spill any of the drops on your clothing or your hair, as they may stain.
- Do not try to clean inside your ear with cotton buds. If you stick buds or other objects into your ear they can damage and irritate the inflamed skin, and make things worse. Just wipe the outside of your ear with a clean cloth or tissue if any discharge appears.
- You will be prescribed a short course of treatment (no more than 7-10 days). If you feel your symptoms are no better after a week of using the drops, make another appointment to see your doctor for advice.
Can flumetasone and clioquinol ear drops cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the ones associated with these ear drops. The best place to find a full list of the side-effects which can be associated with your medicine, is from the manufacturer's printed information leaflet supplied with the medicine. Alternatively, you can find an example of a manufacturer's information leaflet in the reference section below. Speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.
|Flumetasone and clioquinol ear drop side-effects||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Mild burning, itching or rash||If it continues or becomes severe, speak with your doctor|
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to the drops, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
How to store flumetasone and clioquinol ear drops
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- Throw away the bottle of ear drops after you have finished your course of treatment, even if there is some liquid left. Do not keep opened bottles to use later, as ear drops must not be used if the bottle has been opened for longer than four weeks.
Important information about all medicines
If you suspect that someone has swallowed some of this medicine, contact the accident and emergency department of your local hospital for advice.
If you buy any medicines check with a pharmacist that they are safe to use with your other medicines.
If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are using.
This medicine is for you. Never give it to other people even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.
Do not keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
Did you find this information useful?
Further reading & references
- Manufacturer's PIL, Flumetasone/Clioquinol 0.02% w/v/1% w/v Ear Drops solution; Concordia International, The electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated December 2013.
- British National Formulary; 72nd Edition (Sep 2016) British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.