It is well documented that obesity is one of the single biggest problems facing western society today, but obesity is a wholly preventable disease. We have seen from study after study conducted in recent years that obesity is a problem that can be prevented by simply eating healthily diet and fitting in easy exercises.
It is especially important that as we get older we continue to strive to be healthy and active. Studies show that inactivity increases linearly with age, so older adults need to continue to be regularly active. Exercise does not mean you need to have a regimented exercise plan. All you need to do is choose to have an active lifestyle. This involves making choices that are conducive to health and exercise.
We can all increase our activity levels through very small changes to our lifestyles. This can involve taking the stairs at work, getting off the bus a stop early or just walking around to the corner shop rather than taking the car. However, this can become very difficult due to the weather we experience in this part of the world. We can all aim to go for a few walks each week the weather conditions don’t always make these small changes easy. Very few of us can bear the wind and rain to head out for an exercise fix, so this is why we have compiled a list of 10 exercises you can do from the comfort and warmth of your own home and at your own convenience
In order to optimise your weight loss and more importantly tone up the areas you have lost weight from, you need to combine a range of cardiovascular and toning exercises. By using all or a mix of the exercises I have included below you will really start to see and feel the difference in a matter of weeks. I would suggest warming up with some cardio and then making a mini circuit out of the toning exercises I have included. Then cool down with some stretching and jogging in place. You can build up your workout by adding minutes to your cardio workout and sets to your toning workout. As always be sure to check with your doctor before embarking on a new exercise routine.
11 Easy exercises at home
- Star jumps
- Wii/ Workout videos
- Bicep Curls
The stairs are a great way to get your heart rate up when the weather is miserable outside. By running up and down the stairs a few times in a row you will feel your heart rate increasing, and this is what is going to burn those calories. You can also add to this workout by carrying a load of washing or some weights in your hands and doing a pumping action with your arms. Alternatively, you can use the bottom step to do lots of step ups, just be sure to wear the right footwear.
These are a great cardio exercise as you are working both your arms and your legs. You can progress this further again by holding weights in your hands. The weights can be water bottles or even canned foods if you do not have a set of weights.
Dancing is a very under rated form of exercise. By dancing around the kitchen to your favourite CD for 20 minutes you can burn 100 calories. It’s also a great way to boost your mood.
It might seem like a boring way to spend 10 minutes of your day but jogging on the spot is a very effective workout. If the weather is awful outside or you don’t have time to get out of the house, you can still get your workout in by jogging on the spot at home. You can even do it in front of the TV, making the time fly.
These are a fantastic way to get active at home. Most of these games or workout videos have beginner to advanced levels so it will not matter how active you have been in the past. They’re also a great way to get your family or partner up and moving rather than sitting in front of the tv.
I have included a list of exercises below that you can do at home. By doing these a few times a week coupled with some cardio you will really start to see and feel the difference within a month or so. This is a great circuit to start if you have a holiday or event in the coming months.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, with your weights held in each palm, arms by your sides.
- Concentrate on keeping your tummy pulled in tight and your knees slightly bent.
- Bend your arms at the elbow and bring your palms up towards your shoulders.
- Return to the starting position and repeat (8-16 reps).
- Stand with your knees slightly bent and feet shoulder width apart (you can also sit on a bench if you feel more comfortable).
- Holding one weight between both hands you raise your arms straight above your head, bend your elbows and then slowly lower the weight to just behind your neck.
- You then straighten your arms back up and return to the start position.
- Lie down flat on your back, preferably with a mat underneath you and knees raised.
- Keep your hands at your temples and slowly raise your chin towards your knees.
- Make sure the small of your back (just above the bum) is kept flat on the ground at all times.
- While performing the movement make sure you are engaging your core and pulling in the tummy muscles.
- Lie flat on your stomach facing the floor with your hands at your temples.
- Slowly raise your torso upwards, while pulling in the stomach muscles and engaging your core.
- Keep your head in line with the rest of your body and don’t face outwards.
- Stand tall with your feet together (you can hold dumb bells in your hands if you want to add to the workout).
- Step forward with your right foot, taking a slightly bigger step than normal.
- Bend your right knee and lower yourself towards the floor until your left knee almost touches the ground.
- Your left thigh should be in a straight line with your back. Push backwards off your right leg to return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg.
The leg area can be a problem for a lot of us but lunges are an easy and effective way to tone your body and legs.
We all know how important exercise and a healthy diet is to our overall health. By following these easy exercises at home daily, you can start leading a more active lifestyle which will boost your weight loss, help you tone up and improve your overall health.
Thanks to tescodiets.com who have provided this article.