Do you constantly suffer from an energy shortage? If you’re juggling the demands of a career and family, it’s not surprising that you may lack some luster and need an energy boost.
If it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. Lack of energy is the most common health complaint among adults.
Lifestyle habits are usually to blame for this deficit in dynamism, and one of the biggest culprits is not getting enough regular exercise. Routine physical activity is key to maintaining increased energy levels.If you are in desperate need of revitalisation and need to boost energy levels, try our five-step “activity makeover”.
Natural energy boosters
Regular exercise doesn't drain your energy... it gives you more. Studies have shown that brief bouts of mild exercise are the most effective ways of improving energy levels and decreasing tension. This supports the exercise guidelines that say you only need 30 minutes of cumulative physical activity throughout the day to improve overall health.
- Exercise raises levels of neurotransmitters in the brain that release serotonin which boosts energy levels and makes you feel good. The benefits are immediate and lasting if exercise is maintained.
- Increased aerobic activity develops your body’s ability to pump oxygen-enriched blood through your system. This helps to combat fatigue, relieve tension and enables your system to work more efficiently. It will also help you sleep better. <
- As your body gets used to the extra activity you will be using less energy to do the simple day-to-day things. With a boost in your stamina, you’ll feel better about yourself, and what you can accomplish.
Rise and shine
A morning workout will provide you with a rush of adrenaline and a sense of accomplishment that will stick with you throughout the day. It will also increase your mental acuity, giving you extra time to plan your day effectively before you get to work. So hit the floor running with these morning-time exercise suggestions and get a jumpstart on the day ahead.Solution
Place your alarm clock far away from the bed, so you have to get up to silence it. Make sure you keep it on the alarm setting and not your favorite CD or radio station - you can listen to those more favourable options while you’re exercising. If you are usually pushed for time, set the alarm 10 minutes earlier so you don’t have any excuse to skip the workout. There are a number of short and simple video and book-based workouts that can get the day going for you or you could head outdoors for an early morning walk, jog or skip for at least 10 minutes. An early start means you don’t have to worry about fitting in exercise for the rest of the day.
Pass the afternoon slump
Do you often wonder why you feel so sleepy in mid-afternoon? The brain associates stillness with sleep, especially if there is not enough natural light. Also, poor posture doesn't just make you look tired, it places excess strain on your back and hips, which can make you feel tired and achy. Your first instinct may often be to reach for a sugary snack to boost your energy. Unfortunately, that energy increase will be short-lived and in reality, the extra calories will just widen your waistline. The alternative is an exercise break. A rapid 10-minute walk raises energy faster and for longer (up to two hours) than sweets and snacks. You will also find that the physical activity can provide an outlet for job-related tensions or mental fatigue and make the afternoon more productive.Solution
Start with stretching at your desk to loosen muscles, ease joints and allow blood to flow more easily around your body, which will give you a quick energy boost. Then, instead of heading towards the vending machine, walk up and down 20 stairs 10 times. If your building doesn’t have any stairs, walk around the block or car park for 10 minutes.
Walk off the office blues
After a long day at the office or being stuck in a traffic jam, it’s easy to make excuses or other plans in order to skip an evening workout. But exercising after work can help release some of the day’s tension, make it easier to sleep and give you a fresh start to your exercise makeover in the morning. So, before you settle into the old routine of changing into trousers with an elastic waistband and curling up in front of the TV for the next two or three hours, try this alternative.Solution
Drop off your jacket, shoulder bag or briefcase and head straight out again. Ten minutes of brisk walking around your neighbourhood won’t require special equipment or clothing (just lace up those trainers). The fresh air will clear your head and improve your mood. If you’re feeling up to it, invite the whole family along. It’s a good opportunity to catch up on the rest of your brood’s day.
Workout with the kids
With the kids back to school, you can make family time exercise time - tire them out and perk up your own lagging energy.Solution
- Go swimming. Instead of watching them in the pool, take the plunge and join in. The soothing aspects of water can help ebb away the day’s tensions, as well as provide a good aerobic workout. If you need to keep an eye on the children, treading water or water walking in the shallow end burns as many calories as swimming.
- Ball games. Put a basketball hoop or a mini football goal in the garden and get the whole family involved.
Work your weekends
You don't need to join the weekend warriors on your days off to get the benefits of exercise. Having already started to fit in small bouts of exercise during the week with this exercise makeover, you no longer have to worry about squeezing everything into one gym session. Your everyday or weekend chores can also help to keep you active and healthy, as long as you do not take the automated short cuts.Solution
- Energise at the shopping centre. Park as far as you can from the entrance. If using escalators, walk up and down them. In the supermarket, walk up every aisle with your shopping trolley even if there’s nothing you need there. Carry your own shopping bags to the car.
- Become a gardener. Unlike many exercise options, you can become involved in what you’re doing, enjoy it and reap the benefits from your hard work, like bouquets of flowers or vegetables for the dinner table. It’s a superb way of diverting the mind from work or other issues as well as a great workout.
Thanks to tescodiets.com who have provided this article.