A deliciously moist cake with a surprise ingredient.
Ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 8-10 slices
200g of softened butter
200g of golden caster sugar
250g mashed potatoes
175g of ground almonds
The zest of 3 lemons
2 teaspoons of gluten-free baking powder
4 tablespoons of granulated sugar and the juice of 1 lemon (to be used for the drizzle)
1. Heat the oven to 180oC or gas mark 4, then butter and line a deep cake tin, approximately 20cm round. Beat the sugar and butter in a bowl until it becomes light and fluffy, before gradually adding the eggs. Continue beating as you add them.
2. Fold the almonds, lemon zest, baking powder and cold mashed potato into the mix.
3. Add the mixture to the tin, levelling the top, and then bake for approximately 45 minutes (or until it becomes golden) then check the cake with a skewer. The skewer should come out clean if the cake is ready.
4. Remove cake out of the tin by placing it on a wire rack after it has cooled for 10 minutes
5. Mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice together, and then add to the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Once the cake has completely cooled, slice it and enjoy.