A classic cake, covered with icing and brimming with flavour. One for all the family
Ready in: 1 hour
Serves: 12 slices
175 g of softened butter, plus extra for greasing
200 g of self-raising flour
4 zested lemons, 2 of which should be juiced
175 g of golden caster sugar
125 g of natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons of poppyseeds
200 g of icing sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Line the base of a greased 20cm cake tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until it becomes light and fluffy.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, bar the icing sugar and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, to the mixture. Beat until it is all combined.
4. Add to the tin, smoothing over the top. Cook for 45 minutes, and then cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
5. Turn out the cake, and leave cooling on a wire rack.
6. Sift the icing sugar, and then add the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to make a runny icing.
7. Pour this over the cake, and allow to set.