Lunch, Italian, Serves 4
Calories per serving: 91 (approx)
Preparation time:10 minutes
Cooking time:40 minutes
Cooking method: Boiling
- 1 leek, thinly sliced, then washed to remove dirt
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- Handful green/French beans snapped into 2 cm lengths
- 1.5l boiling water
- 1 x 400 g can/pack chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 300 g can cannellini beans, drained
- 50g small pasta shapes
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs (optional)
- Or 1 teaspoon chopped thyme (optional) and 1 tablespoon chopped basil (optional)
- Put the leeks, carrots, courgettes, celery and beans in a large saucepan. Add the water and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the mixed dried herbs or thyme, cannellini beans and pasta shapes.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Add extra water if needed.
- Stir in the fresh basil (if using), and cook for 1 minute. Serve with crusty bread