Sponsored by the Department of Health (England), Public Health England (PHE) protects and improves the nation's health and wellbeing, and reduces health inequalities. They are responsible for:
- Making the public healthier by encouraging discussions, advising government and supporting action by local government, the NHS and other people and organisations.
- Supporting the public so they can protect and improve their own health.
- Protecting the nation’s health through the national health protection service, and preparing for public health emergencies.
- Sharing our information and expertise with local authorities, industry and the NHS, to help them make improvements in the public’s health.
- Researching, collecting and analysing data to improve our understanding of health and come up with answers to public health problems.
- Reporting on improvements in the public’s health so everyone can understand the challenge and the next steps.
- Helping local authorities and the NHS to develop the public health system and its specialist workforce.
Last updated on 26/08/2015