It’s a long-held tradition that in January we all try to go to the gym. Or at least once or twice. We flock to the gym like sheep with the guilt and the extra few pounds weighing us down. Often we trick ourselves into believing that if we are paying for our gym membership then we will have more of an incentive to lose weight. But for most of us, we start with great intentions but are left short-changed by the end.
Test out your New Year’s resolutions in the comfort of your own home and with no reason to worry that your head is the same size as Hank’s biceps on the treadmill next to you at the gym.
Feel the burn of YouTube
YouTube is the perfect place to get hour-long classes in your living room, without having to fear that the instructor is giving you the eye for not finishing that push-up. It also opens the doors to many different types of workouts that you might not have ever thought about. You can try out intense full-body workouts, burn some fat with Pilates or build core strength with yoga videos.
The possibilities are endless on YouTube, and you won’t have to spend any money to get it. If you enjoy a workout, save it to your playlist so you can do it over and over again. Just make sure you have enough room so you’re not tripping over the furniture or yourself.
Walk before you can run
Often we overlook the benefits of walking, and due to it being low-impact exercise, we stop before we see any results. However, it is a simple and easy way to get more exercise, especially on workdays.
5 tips on how to walk more every day!
· Walk to work. Or if you drive or get public transport, get off before normal and walk a longer distance
· When you get home, take five to ten minutes to walk around your neighbourhood
· Although you may look slightly odd, when waiting for the kettle to boil or waiting for anything, walk around the room
· If you have a lift in your office or place of work, take the stairs. It’s simple but effective
· At lunchtime go out of the building and stretch your legs. This can also help break up your day
· After a while, the more you get into the habit of walking regularly you can increase the intensity by jogging or doing a weekly run
The TV workout
We all love to slump into a cosy chair and flick on our favourite show when we get home. But I am sure most of us can agree the adverts are mind-numbing. So start making use of that wasted time watching adverts by doing some quick exercises.
· When the adverts come on, get up and walk around the room or run on the spot
· When the next advert comes on do some jumping jack burpees. These involve jumping into a starfish shape, jumping back in, jumping with your arms up into the sky and the bending your knees down to the ground and then hopping into a push-up position. Then repeat
· As it changes again, do bench presses on your sofa. This in time will tone and build muscle in your arms
· Finally, to cool down, grab your TV remote control. Engage your core and start twisting your torso whilst holding the remote control with both hands together. This is a great exercise for getting rid of those pesky love handles