6 winning walking tips
The following tips will help you get on your way to a great walking programme!
● Routes. Before you set out on your first walk, map out a few different routes with varying lengths and terrain. Make sure and change your route every week or so and consider alternating routes within the same week.
● Time. Start with 15- to 20-minute walks, three days a week and work up to 30- to 60-minute walks, most days of the week.
● Increase slowly. Resist the urge to do too much too soon. After your initial week of consistent walking, begin to boost your daily time by five-minute increments. Each week, add five minutes to your daily walk. This gives your body time to adapt, which reduces your risk of injury.
● Break it up. Instead of doing all of your walking at one time, break up your 60-minute walk into smaller chunks over the course of the day. For example: 2 x 30-minute walks or 4 x 15-minute walks.
● Pace. Keep it comfortable at first; you should be able to talk with little to no problem. As you increase your fitness level, it should become more difficult to carry on a conversation as your intensity increases.
● Vary the intensity. After you have worked your way up to 30-60 minutes most days of the week, start adding in short bursts of higher intensity walking while alternating with your regular pace.