6 ways to improve your eye health
- Attend your optician for regular eye tests - at least every two years, more frequently than this if you have other medical conditions such as diabetes
- See your doctor or optician if you notice a change in your vision or have any concerns
- See your doctor immediately if you or your child have a sudden drop in vision, severe recurrent headaches, double vision or develop a new or worsening squint to rule out any underlying medical causes
- Eat a healthy diet high in fruit and vegetables (foods rich in antioxidants are good for eye health)
- Regular exercise and limiting amounts of alcohol consumed
helpscontrol blood pressure, and in turncan help with healthy blood vessels in the eye
- Stopping smoking can also be a big help. After aging, smoking is the biggest risk factor for developing macular generation, one of the biggest causes of blindness in the UK. Smoking also increases your risk of developing cataracts.