What can we do to help maintain a healthy back?
1. Regular exercise and stretching
2. Maintain a healthy weight
A healthy diet and stopping smoking is beneficial to your health in so many ways.
3. Sleep on a good, relatively firm mattress
A mattress with the right balance of softness and firmness can support your back and improve your quality of sleep as well. Just like Goldilocks, it's worth trying a few out and find one that is right for you. We spend over a third of our lives in bed so it really is worth getting right.
4. Try to sleep on your side
This is the best sleeping position for your back, with a pillow between your knees if needed.
5. Adopt a good posture
If sat at a desk for long
6. Wear good shoes with low heels and good arch supports
7. Avoid heavy lifting
If you have to lift a heavy item, make sure you:
- Lift with a straight back and bend
- Keep your feet flat on the floor
- Ask for help where ever possible.