Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a rare genetic condition, which means your body can't break down protein. People with this condition have to follow a strict low-protein diet in order to prevent brain damage and other complications.
6 more facts about PKU
1. It affects 1 person in every 10,000 people
2. People with PKU have never tasted meat
3. PKU is a lifelong condition
4. Most foods are provided on prescription. At aged 18, charges are applied so these are no longer free
5. Supplements are taken daily
6. If you stick to the diet, it won't restrict your daily life.
I am sharing this petition with you in order to get more awareness and support of PKU and pursue the issue of free prescriptions for those 18+ in the UK living with PKU. This is because some people with PKU struggle with the cost of prescriptions. If more people are able to follow the prescribed diet, they will have a better quality of life.