Button batteries and children - a deadly combination

What to look for

Most children that have swallowed a battery may have no symptoms immediately so if they say or you think they have swallowed one, get them seen urgently even if they have no symptoms.

Later on you may see signs of chest discomfort, drooling, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, wheezing or gagging.

What should I do if I think my child has swallowed a battery?

  • Give your child nothing to eat or drink
  • Do not try and make them vomit
  • Get urgent medical advice in your nearest emergency department
  • If you can, take with you a sample of the battery ingested, but don't delay attending to find this.


comments powered by Disqus