To add a kick to these tasty meatballs add some chilli powder to the mince or for a fragrant twist add some coriander and cumin seeds.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Number of servings: 4
Nutrition information per serving:
1 tsp of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tins of chopped tomatoes (400g each)
1 tsp of mixed herbs
1 tbs of sugar
100g of lean minced pork
200g of lean minced beef
1 tsp of oregano
1 slice of bread processed into breadcrumbs
1 tbs of grated Parmesan cheese
200g of pasta, uncooked weight
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently cook half the onion and half the garlic until softened.
2. Add the tomatoes, mixed herbs and sugar and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
3. Meantime, mix the minced pork and beef together in a roomy bowl. Add the rest of the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, oregano, breadcrumbs and parmesan and mix well. Roll into small meatballs, about the size of a walnut.
4. After simmering the tomato sauce for 10 minutes, place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and simmer gently for a further 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your meatballs. These need to be cooked right through and no longer pink in the middle.
5. While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the pasta following package directions, omitting any suggested fat or salt. Serve the pasta topped with meatballs in tomato sauce
Thanks to tescodiets.com who have provided this article.