- 40 mins to prepare. 15 mins to cook.
- Serves 4
A simple dish which has an exotic combination of flavours and colours.
- A good pinch of saffron threads
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 400g lean lamb, diced
- 4 little gem lettuce, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp of mint leaves, roughly torn
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 2 bunches of radishes, trimmed
- 300g lower fat Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- 4 pitta bread
Each serving contains
- Calories 520 26%
- Sugar 3.3g 4%
- Fat 18.2g 26%
- Saturates 5.6g 28%
- Salt 0.7g 12%
of your guideline daily amount
1. Place the saffron threads in a small bowl and grind with a teaspoon until it forms a powder.
2. Add 1 tsp boiling water and stir until the powder is dissolved. Put the grated onion into a bowl and mix in the lemon juice, saffron liquid and ½ tbsp olive oil.
3. Add the lamb and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, ideally leave it for 2 hours.
4. Mix together the lettuce, mint and spring onion. Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and slice into thin half - moons. Finely slice the radish into rounds and toss with the other salad ingredients.
5. Place the yoghurt in a small bowl, add half again the volume of cold water and whisk gently to combine.
6. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the cumin seeds and dry fry or toast for a couple of minutes. Grind lightly with the back of a spoon or the end of a rolling bin, then sprinkle over the yoghurt.
7. Heat the pan again to a medium heat, adding the remaining olive oil. Remove the meat from its marinade and brush off most of the onion, and then cook the lamb, in batches if necessary, for 8-10 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
8. Lightly toast the pitta bread and cut into strips. As soon as the lamb is cooked, transfer it to the salad bowl and toss thoroughly. Serve the lamb salad with pitta strips and yoghurt dip.
Thanks to tescodiets.com who have provided this article.