Crack a couple of eggs and you can have a healthy and nutritious meal in minutes. Here is a basic omelette recipe – top with your favourite vegetables or flavour with herbs and spices for a tasty and satisfying meal.
Do try to stick to using only the egg white for your omelette – an omelette made from 2 egg whites with 1 yolk brings the calorie content up to 140kcal and a massive 11g fat. Maybe you could add the yolks you don’t use in your omelette to make scrambled egg, custard, pastry or a flan for the rest of the family.
Egg white omelette
3 egg whites
1 tsp olive oil
Heat the oil in a small, non-stick frying pan or omelette pan if you have one. Lightly beat the egg whites and season with freshly ground black pepper. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat.
As the egg begins to cook, draw the edges in to the middle of the pan, allowing the omelette to cook evenly. Add your choice of low fat fillings. Cook over a low heat until thoroughly cooked or place under a pre-heated grill for a few minutes. Serve with a tossed green salad.
Serves 1 Nutritional information: 61 kcal, 2.9g fat and 8.7g protein
Low fat fillings
- Chopped veggies such as asparagus, broccoli, diced peppers (roasted for a sweeter flavour), cooked diced potatoes, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, onions and garlic
- Fresh, roasted or sun-dried tomatoes
- Spices, pesto, chopped fresh herbs
- Small amounts of cooked meat such as ham, bacon or pancetta
- Small amounts of tasty cheese such as feta, mature Cheddar, Gruyere or Emmental
- Smoked fish such as haddock
Thanks to tescodiets.com who have provided this article.