fluoroscopic pain relief injection into hip

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi folks

Just a question has anyone had fluoroscopic pain relief injection into hip.  If so could you let me know what you thought and how you felt after.  I work in the hospital I am getting the treatment in as a social worker and I am hoping to go straight back to work.

Thanks as always 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had it done before surgery. For me it helped a lot.

And you can have it two our three times within a certain period off time.But it's no a cure.

• Posted

Eamonn,

I haven't heard of this before. I googled it and it looks interesting and painful. Please let us know the results after you have the procedure. I may look into this if my hip pain continues. I already had one THR and do not want another. Will this keep the joint from deteriorating?

Good luck,

Kathee

• Posted

Hi kath

As far as I am aware it's purely for pain relief i have had a left thr and will need a rth I think they are just try to buy me some more time that's all before I go for it my left hip was so bad I didn't have a choice really the right one would meet the criteria as well but I'm willing to give anything a go at this point if it gets me a bit more time.  With me the issue is not the hip replacement but when they have to do it the second time seems to be worrying them i will keep you all posts 

Thanks as always hip superstars😁

• Posted

Hi Eamonn,

Just googled this for you, hope it helps and hope you get some pain relief from the injection.

Fluoroscopic Guided Hip Injection This non-operative, outpatient procedure is designed to provide relief for patients with arthritis of the hip joint. The technique allows the physician to inject numbing and anti-inflammatory medications with maximum accuracy.

Preparation

The physician swabs the front of the hip and injects a numbing medication. A special X-ray device called a fluoroscope is positioned over the hip.

Injecting the Dye

To make sure the medicine injection is in the hip joint, the physician first uses an injection of dye. The dye shows up on the fluoroscope image. If the dye pools in the soft tissue at the front of the hip joint, the physician adjusts the needle placement.

Finding the Target Area

Fluoroscopic Guided Hip Injection When the dye reaches the target area – the space inside the joint – the physician is ready to inject the medication.

Injecting the Medication

Fluoroscopic Guided Hip Injection The rear of the syringe is removed from the needle and a syringe filled with medication is attached. The physician injects the medication into the joint.

End of Procedure

The needle is removed and a small bandage is applied. The numbing medication will provide short-term pain relief, while the anti-inflammatory medication will aid in long-term relief. 

• Posted

Hi Eamonn...It is an injection by means of a guided fluorospe ( CT scan type) where the surgeon can watch the position of the needle on fluoroscope to make sure the injection of pain blockers are injected into the joint.
    • Posted

Curious.  Can this injection (or any pain relieving steroid injection) be used if you've had the femur replaced in a hemiarthroplasty but have cartilage erosion?

• Posted

It is not a big deal. It can take 5 seconds or 5 min. It is about making sure the needle is in the right position to allow the flow into the joint...not painfull because a short needle is used first to inject lithocain into the tissue and thereafter it is painless....
    • Posted

Thanks nic the comment it wanted to se the process wasn't sure how it worked 
  • Posted

Hi Eamonn.

I had it done last year and to be honest it did not help.

I was left with lots of black marks over my face which i know causes by the steriod that they injected into my hip to stop the pain.

My friend had it done also for her knee and it did not help her also.

to be honest it's a waste of time.

UK.

Good Luck

• Posted

My wife had this done recently, and for her, it was extremely painful.

Her situation might be different than most, however. She has fibromyalgia and RA and it seems her nervous system was very amped up, to the point that she was feeling pain through the local anesthetic during the shot. She remembers screaming when they actually injected her. And this was through local anestesia, moderate sedation & heavy IV pain meds. Afterward the doctor said the procedure went smoothly, nothing unusual (except the screaming of course).

About 30 minutes after the injection, the numbing agent (relative of lidocain) started working and her hip felt much better. However, once that numbing agent wore off, she was in extreme pain (10+). We had to take her to the hospital to manage the pain, and it took days and a lot of IV meds for the pain to subside.

We're now 7 days out from the injection, and I'm pretty sure that if she could go back, she'd opt to skip it. Her hip is still net worse than before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.