Thigh pain after knee replacement

Posted , 51 users are following.

I know some people suffer with thigh pain after a TKR . . and I wonder how many of them actually end up with this permanently?  At the moment, the pain in my thigh usually starts about ten minutes after lying down, and then wakes me in the night with excruciating pain which literally makes me scream and tremble.  It feels as if someone is ripping the leg apart with a burning knife.  Strangely, though, during the day it just feels a bit sore to touch and stiff.  I'm worried that this nerve pain will be permanent.  since day three of the operation, I've only been given paraacetamol for the pain, and I've really reached the end of my tether and been reduced to a trembling wreck by this pain.  I had the operation a month ago, and although the walking and general moving around is better, the pain is infinitesimally worse . . any hope for the future?

7 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like muscle cramps? You could try taking magnesium. That helped my spasms. Also massaging with an oil like bio oil helps it to relax and warms it. Putting a wrapped hot water bottle or heat pad on it will help too.

If you don't have stomach problems you can take 2x paracetamol and 2x ibuprofen together. They work very well. (dr advice)

Hope you get some relief rolleyes

• Posted

I'll gry magnesium . .I'll try anything at this stage!  The pain is much more severe than cramp . .in fact, it's the worst pain I've ever experieenced . .beats childbirth, crushed vertebra, knee operation!  I'm afraid it actually makes me scream!~

• Posted

Omg. See your Gp and explain that paracetamol is not settling your pain. I was on tramadol and codeine up until 10 weeks post op and even now at 12 weeks plus I still often take tramadol at night for the pain. I definitely would not have coped on paracetamol. Considering they give this for a headache and the amount and type of surgery you have had done it is absolutely ridiculous to expect you to manage just on paracetamol. Even buy ibuprofen over the counter and add this to it would be something. Poor you.  If you read this forum you will see that many of us have severe pain for weeks. If your gp won't give you something stronger see another GP. X
    • Posted

thanks!  .i thought it was pretty horrific myself!  On day three after the op, the first day the physio came to toruture me, they gave me 500 mg paracetamol at 8 am, and the phsyio came at 12 . . Needless to say, I was not very successful at bending the knee.  this is a truly horrible experience, and I can't see why they withhold decent pain medication . .Are they sadists at heart!!  I've tried the ibuprofeno, but it doesn't do much for me. . paracetamol is better, but even so, it hardly does anything really.

• Posted

Oh my goodness someone else who gets this pain...I'm only 2 half weeks in and the pain drives me mad...I'm always rubbing my thigh or trying to massage it...have found lying in bed on my side with a pillow between legs and a hot water bottle has helped slightly. ..I also have tramadol which I take before bed..I still wake in night for a couple of hours and writhe around and have to take more painkillers. You need to ask for stronger painkillers than just paracetamol. ..do you have tablets for nerve pain as I take these also?
    • Posted

I've got an appointment with the gp on Monday . . had to wait a week to get theappointment.  I'm going to hope he will give me soemthing stronger than aracetamol, and also ask for some nerve medication. In the hospital they were giving me viamin B12.  Is your pain mainly at night?  I'm beginning to get it sometimes during the day but the really ex cruciating pain is always at night. . 

• Edited

It will get better, I totally understand where you are coming from I was the same, in terrible pain could not sleep, it's now 3 months yesterday and becoming bearable walking without any aids, still taking painkillers, but cutting them down if I feel I can,sometimes I take them all, been told by a chap it took him a year before swelling went down totally and he felt totally confident with the new knee, so keep your chin up believe me it will get better, but slowly, patience!!!
    • Edited

Hi Graham, 

i am 12 weeks  and on the whole am starting to see a big improvement although like you still need some form of pain relief most days. Am also still icing. The problem I have is that if I stand for any reasonable length of time my leg swells and feels like it's a block of concrete when I walk. This is so frustrating, do you get this ?

• Posted

trhanks graham. It's easier to put up with if you think there's a good chance that one day it will get better!  Glad yurs is becoming bearable at last!
  • Posted

I do get it during the day I didn't think anyone noticed but my daughter said I am forever rubbing my thigh and rocking...haha...This is not because I am mad but because I am trying to get rid of it somehow and I can't sit still. It does semi to be mainly at night though....Def get stinger painkillers and lets hope as the weeks go on it eases like people say
  • Posted

1st of all get with your Dr , someone other than the surgeon, to help you find a proper pain med that works. As I have said .at times, my recliner became my best friend. 1.5 - 2 hrs and like you, my sleep was gone. I would get up, take pain meds, ice and elevate. The blood flow apparently gets slowed down and pools then the pain takes over. Having been through this multiple times all I ever wanted was to get some rest, no matter when or or where. This thigh pain could still tale a fes ore weeks. Do your exercises, rest your body whenever you can. Just because your brain says I want to get things done now, your leg says knock it off, I'm not ready
    • Posted

Thanks for the comment! Wish I had a recliner because I'm sure I culd sleep better than flat in bed!  I am using four pillows though . . .best wishes from oldfatgirl!!

• Posted

Hi there I too am getting back and thigh pain , in bed it really hurts to move around and then to stand up I have to grip on to cabinet. I am 6moths post op and the hip problem started about 2 months ago . Wish you well you really need to see someone about this. My pain is not so severe as yours.
    • Posted

Hope you soon see some improvement!  Months and months of pain really gets you down doesn't it!  I've only been one month, and  realise I have a long way to go yet . . . 
  • Posted

You've GOT to get better pain killers. They tried 3 different ones on me before they found the right one. You can't possibly do the exercises if you are in that much pain.
    • Posted

GP gave me tramadol (tramacet) this afternoon!Looking forward to tring it tonight, and maybe getting a little sleep!
    • Posted

Don't expect too much straight away, make sure you take it regularly and you can take other pain relief in between. Good luck sleeping 😴😴
    • Posted

Tramadol was the one I started out on, but it didn't do it for me. Then they went to Norco, and finally to oxycodone. Even with the oxycodone I have a lot of pain. I think I'm one of those who are cursed with a low response to pain killers.
    • Posted

me too ... prescribed 2 oxy/4hrs with tylenol. I am 11 days out of surgery and This pain relief recipe ain't cutting it! I have tweeked it by taking 3 ... or 2 with tylenol 3 ... I literally was just sitting here crying my eyes out in pain for an hour ~  then just took another oxy and am FINALLY feeling some relief. I am 5'9" and weigh 265lbs ~ not a tiny person ! I keep telling my surgeon that I am in excruciating pain and he seems to blow it off. After reading this thread, it sounds like maybe I should talk to my GP for pain relief advise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.