upper thigh 6 myths post total hip replacement

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am in extreme pain in my upper thigh after 6 myths of surgery. It is high in my femur area. This is something new and the last couple of days..having difficulty walking. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why and or what I should do? Your feedback would be very much appreciated. 

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Months.
  • Posted

What did you do to irritate it?  Anything?  My first thoughat is your iliopsoas tendon which is your flexor group.  It attaches to your thigh deep in the top of your thigh bone and can be irritated if it's tight across your implant.

• Posted

Will that show up in an xray?  I recently had minor kidney stone blasting and right after that, my thigh is killing me..
    • Posted

Nope, won't show up in an xray.

Is it your muscle?  Does it get worse after exercise.  Like one good day one bad after activity?

• Posted

I had the same thing in my thigh.. But right after surgery and 6 months later.. I could not even put a razor over my leg. After months of complaining... My physical therapist looked at my leg and started dry needling in my leg.. It's a crazy process, not painful but not comfortable either. But has been amazing progress.. Depending on how much you can take.. I can only take a few needles at a time. They call them trigger points in your muscle.. And It is an acupuncture needle being put in your muscle and twisted around. I can not remember the name of what my PT said but it's like fibro myalgia for your muscle. You can't see it on a scan.. Or an X-ray but it's real.. 
    • Posted

That sounds interesting. I wouldn't think of something like that. ..needles I am not fond of but it is something to consider.  I am worried that the metal rod in my femur is either loose or something. ..not sure but I have not been in such pain since 6 months ago when I had my hip replacement. I am 50 yrs old and already had a full knee replacement and a total hip replacement. Go figure
    • Posted

I am 42.. I serve in the navy and was an avid runner.. I started having hip pain.. And finally went to medical. I discovered I had osteoarthritis. .. I let the navy do surgery.. Don't be scared of a acupuncture needle.. You Barley feel a prick and a little discomfort.. Pain free after that.. I have a ceramic.. My whole nightmare is one leg longer than other 7 months later.. My back hurts.. My doc finally admittedI have one leg longer than the other.. So now another surgery to shorten my leg and many complications.. I am frightened.. So don't be scared a small needle that will hel you and is uncomfortable 
    • Posted

I'm 5 weeks out of THR revision after my initial THR 4 months ago.

I had pain and tightness in my groin and moving into my thigh.  My implant ball was too large and the iliopsoas tendon which comes from your lower spine weaves through your pelvis and over the front of your pelvis right to your inner top thigh (at the point highest of what's left of your thigh after thr)

My pain was pretty constanot and just to the right of my left thigh bone in the upper parr, like 3 or 4" from your fold.

that tendon is hooked to your thigh museless and when the tendon rubbed over the ball it became irritated and would bleed.  Caused problems an pain big time especially after walking.  Going upstairs pretty much impossible.

They diagnosed it by using a special x ray to give a steroidal injection into the tendon 8tsekf.  That gave me 12 hours of relief.  Then a week later injection into the joint itself aND that did nothing.

I've heard the tendon can be stretched and I've had the needle thing done and wow that helps for about 4 days but it comes back.

Now at 5 weeks out after they placed a smaller ball I feel like I have play in my hip (they didn't change the cup) he said 4 cm isn't that much.  Hmm.  I have a weird reverbeating rubbing too when sitting if I move my leg side to side and not sure where that's coming from.

I do feel better, don't have thst awful thigh pain or limp and I've been off meds since week two.

• Posted

Geez, I hope they get you figured out safely.  Revision is not fun. It's the same crap all over starting from scratch and they cut me on the same scar they used the first time.  My was laterally done so now my butt looks great!   NOT!  So much scar tissue and numbness over there.  

But hey I'm better and off of meds.

I hope we both get better and maybe you can get back to something you'll enjoy.  I want to be able to hike again!  

Best wishes and don't put it off if it will help and your surgeon cares about you.  You cold really screw up your back and sciatica for good!

BI got hugs and best wishes!!

• Posted

Jilliboss reading your explanation again about the oversized ball reverberated (no pun intended!) with me. My operated hip is much wider now and after one year, very sore, cannot lie n that side etc.I think you hit the nail on the head (more puns) when you said the socket/cup wasn't replaced just the ball.  Well the cup is cemented in so firmly it would need a JCB digger and we'd lose half our skeleton. My cup is clearly too big and the way you spoke of that stretched tendon over the area and the layers which are cut, stretched and sewn would account for soreness at the very mildest end of the pain spectrum if the socket is too big. You must have been in agony. My other side is now bad and today I sent X-rays to 2 surgeons to see if I'm not too late for injections into the joint space. But it looks even to my untrained eye that bone is grinding on bone. 
    • Posted

Eww, that bone on bone hurts so bad.  Puts a real damper on everything.

I hope they get you figured out and everything goes okay.  I hate that you are in so much pain !

I'm going to push forward and hope everything goes alright.  

• Posted

I had a THR 7/23/14. I've had continued pain since. It feels like nothing happened. I recently found out the femoral ball might be too large. I was convinced it was by ileopsoas tendon. I've had the tendon injected with no response. My surgeon did an injection in the joint today. He said the numbness would end within hours, which it has. But he said it could get better for a few days. How do you know if the size of the ball is too large? I'm not having luck finding info specifically about that online.
    • Posted

I just joined this site and I really want to say thank you so much for sharing your experience I have exactly the concerns that we're scaring me. I will consult with my doctor immediately and I hope that your condition gets 100% better thank you again for sharing

• Posted

Can you please tell me where your therapist is located?  I am at month 11 post op of a hip revision and continue to have bad upper thigh pain, with my muscles all in knots.  My back is also under constant muscle tension.  I believe I need dry needlling; however, it is illegal in my home state of Pennsylvania.
  • Posted

Well, I am back to the same state as yesterday. .major thigh and groin pain just like yesterday. I call my doctor and have an apt next week. I am icing alot and now fro. My knee down to my ankle,  I have numbness and pins and needles.

Any thoughts. .does anyone have any recommendations for relief

• Posted

If you're in the UK I'd call that out of hours NHS  number to see if you need to be in A&E. Numbness is s real warning. You poor thing you must tell them if the Numbness is spreading.  Though some painkillers can cause numbNess if you're on high doses. Get some advice now
    • Posted

I am not in the UK, I am in the US..thanks for your advise. I will definitely get to the bottom of this. Appreciate it
    • Posted

Wi5h my groin troubles I had thigh, side of my thigh from front of the knee, down the front of the leg but no numbness or to glint like that.  Only numbness I have is around my scars.

Gentilleschi is right get in and see what's going on, doest seem right at all.

Seeing as how your in the states he may send you to the emergency room to get all the tests done lickety split.  My OS did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.