UK sources of information and / or support
Has a leaflet on Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy.
Contains authoritative information on neuromuscular conditions: Medical research progress; fact sheets; adaptations, aids and equipment; personal relationships and recreation; links to related sites; guestbook.
Aims to improve the quality of life for all those with FSH (Facio Scapulo Humeral MD) and those who care for them. Offers support and encouragement to families and individuals who have FSH.
A charity set up by parents and supporters of boys with Duchenne and Becker Muscular Dystrophy. Aims:
- to raise funds for UK research projects; to campaign for Governments support to gain equal funding for research in line with other fatal diseases
- to educate people in our local communities on the effects and causes of DMDand BMD
- to advocate on behalf of our sons who have little chance to voice their needs as many of them die in late teens
- to provide a community website to allow parents and supporters the chance to organise support in their communities.
Forum for people who are affected by Muscular dystrophy, a place were people can talk to others in a similar situation.
Youthhealthtalk is a website about young people’s real life experiences of health and lifestyle. It is not just a website about the medical facts, this is about real people and real lives.
Information from NHS Choices - the government's patient information portal.
Information from BUPA.
Further sources / more detailed information
Some non-UK sites
The following list popular non-UK health information sites with content aimed at the general public. They are mainly from the US. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included but these large sites are comprehensive.
More detailed medical information
The following list online sources of more detailed medical information, mainly from the UK. These sites are mainly aimed at health professionals, but are of interest to all. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included, but information about most medical topics can usually be found.
- PatientPlus - hundreds of medical reference articles provided by Patient UK.
- Evidence Based Medicine - such as from Clinical Evidence, The Cochrane Library, etc.
- Database of UK Clinical Guidelines - from NICE, SIGN, etc.
- Medline - abstracts available from thousands of journals.
- Sites listing free online medical textbooks and journals.
- Sites listing free medical images - pictures, atlases, anatomy, skin diseases, etc.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.