"Elective" Surgery? Really??

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I wondered if anyone else has looked at their NHS notes. I spent the better part of 2 years in pain and feeling horrible. The NHS did the scans and said I had the gallstones, but the consultant kept telling me he didn't think it was the gallstones causing the problem - that I just had heartburn (!!!!!) Finally after lying flat on my back and then on left side for 6 weeks (left side because I had horrible allergic reaction to painkillers and my right side covered in a horrible rash that was weeping and burned like on fire!) I went through the private insurance my husband has through his work to get the operation over and done with. I was in surgery and doc left my notes up and I saw that the referral letter she sent to the private hospital said that I wanted to opt for an elective operation. Sorry if I am being a bit silly - but IT WAS NOT LIKE I had my GB removed like some people get botox and I already was annoyed that they didn't take me seriously about the pain etc and to see that made my blood boil!

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Boy , I would be pissed too. Do these Doctors

think we "invent these pains". I think we know

when our body is sick and not working right.

And who in there right mind really wants to

go through surgery.

• Posted

Typical arrogance of the members of the NHS!

I am sure no GP would put up with this kind of pain for

2weeks let alone 2years, and they would be in surgery,

but not on the NHS as we know it...rolleyesasap!

• Posted

Elective implies choice as in non urgent and planned it doesn't have to mean uneccesary
    • Posted

The NHS knew I had gallstones, knew I was in severe pain, knew that I was not getting better but in fact getting worse. My GP wanted me to have the operation, it was the consultant that kept saying "no". My GP knew I had private insurance and mentioned that it would be easier to use it than to keep waiting as I was becoming very ill indeed with very rapid weight loss as well as the pains etc. The operation was NOT a choice and while I might have not been in a emergency life threatening situation, I truly believe (as does everyone who saw me in the state I was in) that left even a few weeks longer there would have been longterm or even permanent detrimental effects to my health. While technically, yes, I did choose to 1) get a second opinion and 2) not wait around taking very strong pain killers every day for weeks on end. For the last 8 weeks before my operation, the only time I could leave my house was to go the A&E or to the GPs surgery. I STILL resent the implication that I just chose to have a major operation like chosing to buy a new pair of jeans.
    • Posted

You can write to your doctor saying you saw your notes and that you do not agree with the reasons she put in. You can insist that yoru letter is included in your notes for all to see.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up