"How the menopause can drive women MAD!"

Posted , 13 users are following.

You just need to google those words above and you will find a great article written in the Daily Mail: Quote from article:  ‘I mentioned to an old friend that what I really needed was a mental institution, because I was losing it. Before long she said: “You don’t need a mental institution, you need a gynaecologist”.  

This is such a validating read. I need things like this as well as this forum! Honestly - I really can't comprehend how women did it back in the day - can you imagine all that some of us are going through and having to do it all alone or put your trust into one lousy GP who would give the same nightmare advice that some of us have gotten???

Mauiblue - you mentioned in a post months ago about what it was like to wake up to a horrible night sweat and anxiety - I think I read that at least 5 times.

You all know the drill - you think it's getting better - but then the NEW symptom shows up; something you've never experienced before and you look at the meno list and sure enough, it's on there. 

I keep saying - "when is this new symptom NOT going to scare me?". I clearly had a blessed life before this all hit.

My new life is hot flashes, night sweats, unpredictable periods - and all NEW unsettling symptoms. I don't drink. I don't smoke etc. I'm so weary from being scared each time the new symptom comes that sometimes I'm thinking maybe I need a drink.  I'm really starting to understand why they prescribe the anti -anxiety. I keep telling myself - YOU are on your period and you are in PERI and you're clearly right around the meno hallway! 

Today I have chapped/chaffed eyelids in the folds from sweating during the hot flashes and night sweats - I guess I didn't think to wipe off my eyelids; I was so focused on the sweat above my lips and patting my face. UGH. My nose is dry and crusty - all new allergy stuff I've never had before. 

I do the whole - I'd rather have that symptom than this symptom conversation with myself - when it all just stinks, doesn't it? 

It's the unknown all of the time!!!!!!!! 

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Finny, so sorry you’re not feeling well. You did give me hope on your last post about the cream you were using. I’m going to order when it’s back in stocksmile
    • Posted

PattyZ - I am looking forward to your updates on that cream! Did you happen to read the history of the woman who started Anna's Wild Yam Cream? It's an inspiring read.

As of now, the cream lifted the dark cloud that came upon me when I skipped my first period. I was just not myself...weepy, no zest for life, fatigue, etc. I am beyond GRATEFUL for this. I would say the sadness feeling for the first time at 49 (they say this is COMMON during meno - who knew????) was my hardest symptom because I felt like that 24 hours a day; so to have that off my list for now feels like a miracle. I am no longer fatigued, either. Wow. I am clinging to these two gifts and really trying to focus on that vs these new physical symptoms. 

• Posted

Finny....this is the most perfectly written post yet....you put into words exactly what I feel....

And most of the women on this forum.

Wish I could hug you to make you feel better...wish I could wave a wand and make us all be on the other side of these shenanigans!

• Posted

Hi Katy - I know that we will all look back on these times and will be thankful for the support we had here on this forum! I look at old posts from years ago and see that a lot of the women are no longer posting. I will think positive and assume they have come out on the other side of the shenanigans and we will, too! Thankful for all of you! 
  • Posted

Ladies your all amazing . Thank you for all the posts makes me now know im not heading for the lunatic asylum and I'm not alone... day 2 of the patches fingers crossed they start working quick ..lots of love to u all xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.