[Long] In a new area, realized I should seek medical attention for something potentially bad.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a brand new user, and I'm here because I don't know how to talk to anyone about this in my present life. I do talk to them about a lot of my known issues, but certain things I keep very hidden.

One thing I kept fairly discreet are frequently re-occuring 'episodes' that have happened since my early youth - somewhere between 6 and 8yrs. I'm sure I need to seek medical attention, but the problem consists of which professional I should seek.

I'd prefer not to preface you with a bias, so before I expand on what I mean I'll detail the 'episodes' I'm speaking of, and my general health.


-Timeframe of about 20s-40s

-I don't have them every day, but the ones I do it happens several times throughout the course of that day, morning until night

-Flashback to dreams/false memories/infrequently real memories

     +Quickly after the imagery along with other symptoms fade

-Physically feeling fuzzy and light - throughout my body and especially in my head

-Tightness in my chest/racing heart - and a drop in my stomach, sour feeling but not vomit inducing

-Sometimes chills on scalp, arms and back

-Strong feelings of dread, anxiety increases drastically

-Sometimes feelings of dizziness

-If in conversation I tend to blank out, typically hearing but not remembering someone speaking

-Can still be functioning to a degree - ex: while driving slowing down and hugging whatever shoulder I'm near.

-Slight confusion directly after the event

General Mental Health/Health Information:

-23 in Age


-Eating habits are inconsistent

-I've suffered clinical depression from age 11, diagnosed at 19

-I have high anxiety

-Received a [what I find inaccurate] diagnosis of PTSD last year

I'm unsure whether I should visit a family pracitioner for a neurologist referral or a therapist/psychiatrist/whatnot. Google research will be the death of me, because the scare of Epilepsy is rampant when I try to find answers.

Of course I know I shouldn't scare myself until I see some sort of a professional, but I've grown very anxious very quickly and being in a new area I don't have the luxury of paying a visit to any family recommended doctors. 

So now I'm here.

TL:DR - Based on the symptoms and general profile of my health, should I seek a mental health professional or a good old brain scientist?

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm just giving my experience that may help. First, excellent for reaching out which is the best to get opinions and life examples and make your own decision. I'm old, 54, suffered from depression, anxiety panic attacks for year's. I had a Traumatic Brain injury 4 years ago which further complicates things and going through alot of stress. I see a Neurologist for seizures and a physiatrist for the other. Been on different meds through the years, Zoloft, Celexa and now Prozac/fluoxetine. A psychiatrist is definitely the one to see for anxiety, depression etc. They may suggest theropy and or a med if not already on one. My neurologist manages my seizure meds and any other issues. Not an easy thing to go through what you are experiencing I'm sure. Sorry to hear. My prayers go out to you to find the releif you seek. Researching your symptoms is awesome and you will find so much from Google to YouTube etc. Don't be afraid of anything and stay determined to find the help you need. Alot goes on in our brains from just everyday life and stress I'm sure you know. Eating right and exercise daily and eliminate stressors.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have da same symptoms im going to make an appointment so i can see what's wrong with me my symptoms are cloudy head confusion not feeling normal

    A racing heart i think its all has to do with ANXIETY

    Well don't wait to get HELP always remember if you don't feel well go to the ER. But i hope you are okay

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    It does sound a lot like ptsd, I have the same symtoms as you are explaining and that is my diagnosis. Obviously i'm no doctor. But I can tell you what I know about.

    Sometimes I feel that people dont understand me and I feel like the doctors misdiagnose me. I feel like there is something more serious to me because sometimes my mind just doesnt make sense to me, and I think, how can it ever make sense to anyone else?

    It seesm like you are describing a panic attack, I had one the other day because I had this flashback of a traumatic event in my youth.

    Maybe its worth seeing a psychiatrist to answer some of your questions, I know its not fun living in a trapped mind.

    All the best, Tanya smile

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I think I am the oldest on this forum. Sounds so much like panic attacks /anxiety. I feel so sorry you are having this trouble. Try to find a doctor. I know you are suffering. I have  panic attacks and have the same symptoms. Don't google. It tells of the worse side effects. They have to because of law suits. Keep us posted. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up