(MEN) ENLARGED PROSTATE

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bladder cancer, now in remission but the latest tests show that I have an enlarged prostate, that is putting pressure on the bladder, so I was going to the bathroom more often. To give you some idea: fluid intake avg 1.8ltrs per day, but passing an avg 2.6ltrs per day.

But now I have started a drug called vasicare 5mg to start then increasing overtime, to slow down the need to go to the bathroom.

My query is, that while I take this medication, does this treat the enlarged prostate ?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is there any place I can find out which hospitals offer PVP Green Light Laser surgery for enlarged prostate? I had one done by Mr Muir at London years ago but suspect I will need another soon as my flow is slowing up. Thanks.
    • Posted

Are you talking private or NHS? Mr Muir is still at NHS Kings College and a couple of private hospitals,

I had my PVP in June 2005 and needed a second procedure last year when  I had Thulium Laser another alternative is HoLep Laser.  

My surgeon last year was dismissive of PVP and called it a 'Commercial procedure rather than a cure'

There is another new game in town called Urolift  if you Google it. It relieves symptoms but no has told me that it will not stop your prostate from continuing to grow.

• Posted

If you Google... NHS hospitals green light laser ... a lot of listings come up. If you read the thread of Mark357's other posting you will see that he found NHS waiting times are at least five months.

My wait for Thulium laser last year was just under five months.

• Posted

Any major general hospital should have a well equipped urology dept.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention that you may need your GP to refer you to a urologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.