"Mic"

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone know what happened to the "mic" clamp? It's clear plastic with an adjusting nut on each end. Been wearing one for two,years and wanted a backup. Way more comfortable than the Cunningham barely a bump under your shorts and being able to adjust both ends  makes it work perfectly.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know of three clamp but I have been using the Dribble Stop clamp for about 6 yrs with good success. It has multiple adjustment clips so once u get the right fit it is comfortable and works well

Report Reply
  • Posted

I don't know of three clamp but I have been using the Dribble Stop clamp for about 6 yrs with good success. It has multiple adjustment clips so once u get the right fit it is comfortable and works well

Report Reply
  • Posted

Do you use the clamp on a daily basis?   For how long at a time do you use it?   I have tried two clamps and neither is very comfortable.  Also, they have a caution not to use more than an hour or two continuously.  I have found the least objectionable survival strategy is a condom catheter and leg bag, but it has disadvantages for me.  I am sensitive to latex, so even the elastic (mostly cloth) straps sometime causes skin breakdown.  I use the silicone catheters,  and apply several layers of skin prep.  Even doing that, the adhesive sometimes doesn't want to release, so I use alcohol to dissolve it to get it to release without tearing the penis skin, which is very thin.  Last week, I had a tear, so I've been burning through pads and pull ups at a rapid rate.  As the pads are always wet from my constant leakage,  it is very difficult and may take a couple of weeks to heal even a small tear when the skin is wet with urine continuously.

I sometimes wonder if it would be more comfortable for an incontinent man to not have the scrotum, with all the pressure a pad/ pullups cause as they swell with urine, and the irritation in walking about.   For that matter, all the external genitalia is kind of superfluous if you're no longer having sex because of the constant leakage.  Maybe a crazy sounding question, but I wonder if it's ever done to give a modicum of comfort while living out a guy's life while very incontinent?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yes I use the clamp on a daily basis almost all day long. I have a small bladder so I have to release it every hour or two and more often If I drink beer which I do. Sometimes it becomes uncomfortable so I move it to another spot on the penis. I don't require it at night as I have very little leakage if I am not up and about and I get up 4 or more times a night. I am still pretty active at 65 and go to the gym most mornings and am physically active. I tried the condom catheter with great success but being active I found it a pain. For 6 years after prostate surgery I could get away with one pad a day and no clamp. Two months ago I had a Turp done to remove some cancerous tissue on the anterior of the prostate and since then clamp , a pad and Incontinence underwear to be sure. I throw the pad away at night and remove the pad and wear the underwear to bed. Hope this info is helpful.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Have you considered an AUS implant (AMS 800)?    I'm really happy with my outcome following surgery this past November, with the AUS being activated the 1st week of January.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I do not know, but I lost mine and I have been searching as well. I know the guy that designed them was Paul K. Davis...... if you have info I would like to know.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Paul Davis 530-888-1274. If you leave a message just say you want one, leave adress and he will send you one. Send him a check after you get it. I bought a couple 6 months ago
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Vitality medical has a variety of clamps available. I have used the dribble stop one for year with great success.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi James, Thx again for Pauls info....

I talked to his wife earlier. Paul passed away just in the last 2 weeks. I was sorry to hear that, I talked to him about a few things since he was in the same boat as us. He designed that MIC in his garage. His wife said that she wasn't sure if his 2 sons were going to keep the MIC going on not. She said to call back in 2 months to see if they were going to keep it going. He had a patent on it. It was the best one I have ever used. If you ever know of anyone that has one I will surely pay double for it. So sorry to hear about Paul, he was a very good man.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Wayne, So sorry to hear about Paul. His clamp workes really well. I wear one 24/7 with a small pad. I’ve tried several other clamps and they just plain don’t work as well for multiple reasons. I have used a Cunningham, because I couldn’t find Paul’s clamp, but it’s too clunky and uncomfortable! Let me know what the situation is in two months. Good luck, Jim
      Report Reply
    • Posted

He was a good guy to make that on his own that helped many people. His wife said to call back in 2 months to see if they are continuing the business. Take care
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Talk to his wife 2 weeks ago, his sons are not going to continue the company. If anyone has an extra one I will pay a good amount of money for one.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Lost my MIC after using it for 3 or 4 years. I too am very interested in buying several.Has any one asked Paul's family if they are interested in selling the patent?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I no longer have a need for a MIC because I've had an AUS implant that is working well. Why don't you contact his family and ask? I would guess that Paul used some other company to make the extruded plastic components of the MIC. If so, you need to have the contact info for that company. All plastics are not equal, so you need to find out exactly what what plastic was used, the cost for components per unit, and what the minimum run the company was willing to do. Someone in the family may be able to offer assembly information.

Glenn

PS Here's the link to the patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6131576A/en

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up