#notanotherbadknee

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 13 wks po on my left knee and recently, I noticed my right knee is starting to ache. I have been told that because my right leg is over compensating for the left, it has started to hurt due to over use. Is this true? Could the pain I feel now in my right knee be related to the left? In 1986, I ruptured my left patellar tendon. When this surgery was done, the physician told me that I had weak patellar ligaments and more likely than not, I would rupture the right. In 1999, it came true and I ruptured the right. Since then, my knees have been a thorn in my flesh. Could anyone give me any insight please.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Im 15 wks post TKR on left knee and although I know I have to have the right done too Im in far more pain than I was before in my right knee which I assume is because I walk differently and have put a lot of pressure on it during the past few mths. I also feel that my knees are the bane of my life!
  • Posted

I m not a doc but I would get some pictures of you knee see if you have bone on bone!
    • Posted

Do I go to my primary care physician or my orthopedist whose care I'm still under?

• Posted

I'd go to your orthopedic surgeon, because he will look at them immediately! Then discus with you your options.

• Posted

I agree that you should get a picture of the other leg.  However, yes...we overcompensate for the bad leg.  As our gait changes automatically to compensate, you can throw out the alignment of your back, hips and other leg.  I ended up with sciatica starting week 5 p/o because my SI joints locked up on me.  Took 2 months of chiropractic and extra PT to alleviate the pain.  Common in TKR patients.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. I originally hurt my left knee while in military and tried to claim the right as a secondary condition and was denied. I felt the right knee went bad for me overcompensating for the left and I feel it's happening again. I'm going to ask my doctor about this Monday morning.

• Posted

I recently had my left knee replaced 4 weeks ago. My left leg is now 10mm (significant) longer than my right leg due to bone on bone and correcting my knocked knee. I noticed the disparity the first time I touched the floor after the operation. I have had to put lifts in my right shoes to avoid having my right knee hurt and also my left hip. In a week or two I will have to visit a podiatrist in order to get x-rayed for orthotics for my new stance.

So if your good knee is starting to hurt, and before you hip and back are thrown off kilter,make sure you are not walking on legs that are different lengths.

I only feel right when I have the lifts in my shoes.

• Posted

Hi Dan,

Who did you see to confirm the one leg was longer than the other? I feel I have the same problem. I am almost 5 months out TKR and can't walk 30 minutes before my lower back and hips start to kill me. I am to go back to work soon and it is a very demanding/physical job. 10hrs/6 days a week, on my feet all day. Thanks in advance!

• Posted

I haven't seen a podiatrist yet as I have to wait until my operated leg is fully extended before x-rays and orthotics are fitted.  But I did go to a chripractor because I was definitely out of wack after the first week home. I knew my operated leg was longer as soon as I hit the floor in the hospital. I confronted my orthopedic surgeon on this and he said he straighten my leg and that added to it's length.  I was so mad at him for not telling me that this would happen. he casually said I would need lifts in my shoes or get my other knee 

( which is fine) operated on in a few years.

So I went to a chriopractor and he and he concurred that my legs were different lengths and he got so lifts, on line, to hold me over until I was fitted properly with orthotics.

So this is what I do:  I sit next to my bed with a carpenter's level and put shims in my shoes  until both knees ( with shoes on) are level, then I start to walk. If not my hip hurts, my pelvis shifts, and my good knee cracks.    There are doctors that adjust for knocked knees and maintain previous leg lengths. Unfortunately my doctor isn't one of them. I never thought that this would happen. I measure 10mm difference when I  put the level on my knees. Quite discouraging.

• Posted

I have my fingers well and truly crossed. Nearly 7 weeks post op TKR and the original injury happened 45 years ago. Have had two arthroscopic over this time and now the big one. My other knee has always compensated for its weaker mate and now is being a bit of a prima donna and causing me pain. All sorts of things at play post op the biggest for me is the correcting of my leg straightness and this has had a flow on affect on my foot as things realine and also the other knee. I am having to take it slowly but surely and am hoping the other leg will slowly adjust to this realignment and not need any intervention. My approach is to treat each as in need of care. I start pool work next week which will be brilliant as takes the stress off the joints while allowing the body to strengthen - hate the changing room thing though smile

All the best - be kind to yourself.

• Posted

I can only tell you my own experience.

I hadTKR on my Left knee 4 years ago.

Before that I had quite bad arthritis in my RIGHT ankle.

Since Knee Replacement my RIGHT ankle has also been considerably better. I think this is simply because I am now distributing my weight differently.  Hope this makes sense.

It does get better, be patient.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.