“Safe” Person(s)/People Gone For The Weekend - Scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don’t know if this is better posted on the anxiety forum of this site, but I’ve come to take comfort from the people who frequent here.

Basically, my parents (my “safe” people) will be gone over the weekend and I’m feeling on edge/scared about that.  I won’t be totally by myself thank goodness - my older brother will also be at home, but idk this will be the first time since my anxiety came back that my parents won’t be there for a couple days.

I wasn’t as nervous about this earlier in the week.  Idk if it’s just because it’s approaching closer or because I haven’t gotten much sleep the past 2 days and that’s making me slip more.

Somewhere I know it’s stupid because I’ve been alone for days on end before and was completely fine and able to handle it before the anxiety returned.  But I can’t help but get that scared feeling in the pit of my stomach and think about the scary “what if’s” that might happen while their gone sad

Anyone else ever go through this where their ultimate “safe” person(s) were gone and you had to face a couple days alone?

Sorry for long post or if this is too personal - felt the need to vent.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try to occupy yourself doing something you enjoy while they are gone, they are coming back and you WILL be ok on your own. I understand exactly how you feel........ I know it’s not easy but you got to occupy yourself perhaps with something creative, that’s what I do....,  Manny x 
    • Posted

Hi Manny.  Thank you for the reassurance and advice.  I will try and think of activities to do to keep myself busy.  I know I’m lucky I’ll have my brother around to help feel more secure and I’ll talk with him about how I feel - I’m sure he’ll be up for helping me to occupy my time with stuff.  I’m hoping getting more sleep in these next couple of nights will help improve my mood.
  • Posted

Yes I’m already worrying about my parents going over to another country at the end of July. I panic that I may not cope with looking after my little girl by myself without the support there. It can be hard but as hard as it is try not to panic about it. I’m going to write a plan of action so I have a timetable for each day so I know what I’m doing each day will be planned for. It will soon go by and before you know it they’ll be back. Just try to stop yourself from overthinking it and make sure you’ve a safe list of people who u may need To call as a last resort if you’re struggling, but tell yourself you will and can do this. We’re here for u if u need to talk.

• Posted

Hi.  Ugh, that sounds tough.  I always admire people who have kids and go through this terrible anxiety stuff and still stay positive.  

That sounds like a good idea - to plan out your day.  

Luckily my brother is very much a homebody like myself, so I know he’ll be around the house a lot and I can turn to him if I get very anxious.  I’ll probably call my parents occasionally as well just to chat with them.

Thank you - everyone on here is very sweet and supportive.  I hope you feel much better when your parents will be gone and that everything goes ok. smile

• Posted

how old are you.You might think about having a walk too stretch your muscle and try to relax by reading a book or watching tv or listen too the radio,all of those things will help your anxiety ,and if concern please don't hesitate ,we are around so you can always get some help from this web page  

• Posted

I’m 25.  I love walking - I’ve taken to trying to walk every day since my anxiety came back.  I will try and take longer ones over the weekend, especially since the weather has been much nicer.

I will try and occupy myself with things as best I can.  Thank you - that’s really nice of you to say.  I anticipate being quite anxious over the weekend, so I’ll probably be on here for support.

• Posted

I’ll keep checking in on u. Don’t know what country your in so there may be a bit of delay in responding, but we’re here if u want to talk.
    • Posted

Thank you, you’re very sweet.  I’m in the U.S.  I feel like Friday night will be the worst.
  • Posted

Maybe you could plan a few activities for you and your brother to do together while your parents are gone, to keep your mind of it? Such as yard work, gardening, cleaning out the garage or attic, etc. Just something to keep you busy:-).

?Putting a positive spin on things, once your parents return home again, you'll realize that you'll be fine when they leave:-).

• Posted

Yeah, I should really try and think of activities to do - I typically sleep a lot on the weekend, but idk, maybe keeping more busy with activities would be better.  If not, I could always plan things out for when I am awake.

We were planning on possibly going to the movies on Sunday, however sometimes being in a movie theater can give me a panic attack.

Thank for the advice :-). And yes, I’m hoping to eventually think of it like that too.

• Posted

Oh my goodness yes! This is me without my husband. It used to be my parents too and if he was gone I would rely on my mum. I thought I was the only person who suffered from hating being alone.

I can pop in and message you if you like? I really understand where you are coming from!

Gemma I have two children and I have had a relapse after 12 years of cit and found looking after them so tough, hopefully it’s getting better as I approach week 18 x

• Posted

Hi!  It’s so nice to hear you also feel that way.  It can be really tough and scary just knowing you’re alone.

Thank you!  You’re very sweet!  My parents came back Monday afternoon, but they have another trip at the end of June.  I’m hoping I’ll be much better by then, but may need support if not.  But if you ever wanna chat in general, I’m cool with that :-)

Also, I’m sorry to hear you relapsed sad. I recently have relapsed as well after 5 years of feeling normal.  If you don’t mind me asking, did you change your dose or anything?  I never did, so I’m confused why my anxiety came back.

I’m also almost on week 14 since I increased and I still struggle sad

• Posted

Thank you, I’m scared about it as at the moment I’m only at week 8 and the anxiety is still there everyday.
    • Posted

It was my own fault really after nearly 14 years I just kept forgetting to take my tablets. It ended up me taking about 1 maybe 2 a week. After 4/5 months it caught up with me and I relapsed. So 18 weeks back on it 16 weeks on 30mg
    • Posted

Ah, ok.  I wish I could figure out why mine came back sad. The only thing I can think of is that I was worried about something at work and then woke up from sleep to a panic attack.  Hadn’t had a real panic attack in years and all I can think is maybe the combination of work stress plus experiencing a strong panic attack did it.  And maybe I wasn’t able to mentally shake off that panic  after not experiencing it for years.

Are you thinking of increasing to 40mg at all or just trying to stick it out on 30mg?  I’m hoping the 30mg will work for me as I dread increasing to 40mg.  I think I’d rather try a different medication than go on the highest dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.