'simple' but never healing under ankle injury

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I have an injury at my right foot in the area under my ankle.

It happened 5 years ago, I overstepped it where my foot was sloping (as spinning 45° to the right around a back-front spin passing through the foot from ankle to fingers), it didn't hurt that much, but prevented me from running or similar activities, and took me at that time about 2.5 years to heal, though the doctor said it was a simple tissues rupture and with some rest it would take a short time to heal.

2.5 years ago, I returned somehow to normal activities, and the pain disappeared.

5 months ago, I walked on a 20 km hiking, during the hiking, I jumped hardly and contacted the ground using this right foot, I didn't feel any pain at that time, and continued walking without any problems. Two days after that, it started to hurt me. The pain was annoying, but not so hard. I saw a doctor and he prescribed some Voltarin gel and painkillers, and said it would take a couple of weeks to heal naturally.

Now, 5 months have passed since the injury came back, I have tried always to be careful of it and not put too much pressure on it, however, it is still not fine. The pain is not continuous, it happens when I walk or put foot in specific positions, and it is light and somehow spreading over the area under the ankle rather than a specific point. Each time it gets a bit better, I either walk for a long distance (1 ~ 3 km), or dance hard, and the pain gets back though I stopped long walking and running.

A few days ago I went to a specialized sports doctor, I did an MRI scan, it showed that the area is OK and there were no problems, doctor said again that it is a simple tissues problem, and time will heal it.

The understand that there is no magic stick to heal it, but I am really curious about that, if it is a simple injury, why does it take that time? Do I have to stop sports again for another couple of years? How do athletes heal after very hard injuries!

So, please, if you can suggest me any tips, like foods, medicine, sports, physical therapy or any other instructions that may help making the cure process faster, because doctors gave me nothing!

Kind Regards.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi . It sounds like a foot /ankle ligament issue ( I had a similar sounding problem )

I felt I was re configuring my foot to walk , The pain gradually got worse ..it finally came to ahead whilst running , The ankle gave way with a shooting sprain like pain.

I would suggest you demand a scan.Phsio is no good to repair the fault .

I've had a re construction of the ATFL ligament operation which afte 9 months feel it is getting better finally .

Good luck .( I am not a doctor )

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

My situation is a bit different because it doesn't cause a lot of pain.

What kind of scan do u mean? Because I mentioned this I did MRI, and it showed that the area has no problems at all.

Kind Regards :-)

• Posted

Ultrasound is better for detecting soft tissue/ tendon issues and MRI is more for bones . Not a doctor either but that's what my Physio told me .
    • Posted

Thanks for the feed back Nadia,

However, even if ultra sound detected something, what could be done for such injury?

• Posted

If it's inflammed or torn or whatever I guess they then know how to treat it . i know you can get guided cortisone Injections under ultrasound for some soft tissue injuries. Best ask a doctor's opinion . Good luck
  • Posted

Hi over the summer my nephew ran behind the house and we were about to leave so i had to run and get him and while i was running i twisted my ankle three times in a row and didnt tell my mom then the next day it got worse and i couldnt walk on it so i told my mom she looked at it and it was swollen so a few days later when i was able to walk at least a little bit she brought me to the doctor he did a lot of test to see what happpened and then when he got the results he said i just sprained it three times in a row and thats its healed but now it still hurts and i cant run on it or else it will hurt more and the doctor said if that if that happpenes to come back so he can do more testing but i never told my mom cause i dont want to get anymore testing done.

So if anyone can help please let me know thank u.

• Posted

I am amazed they have not suggested you have Physio to strengthen it or given you exercises to do. Any repetitive injury would surely mean a weakness so i would rest ice elevate and be patient with it . Best of luck
  • Posted

Thanks, off and on have spasms in leg and foot, told Dr. But blew off?????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.