1 Day post-op

Posted , 13 users are following.

WOW!!!!!! 😁😁😁😁  That's all I can say. I LOVE my new hip. Posterior replacement yesterday. Dr said hip was so bad that he was sure I was gonna love my new hip really quick!  Went for first PT this morning and did really well. If all goes as is going now, home tomorrow. Pain is hanging around a 2 compared to about 8 before surgery. Groin pain is gone!  Now just have to be sure not to overdo it. For those of you waiting for your day to come, you'll be glad you had it done!  All my worry was for nothing. Thanks to you all for your tips and encouragement!  Never met a one of you, but I am thankful for you all! 😘

6 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well done Susan

That's fantastic news. Just stay positive even though some days things may not be so good and you'll be fine.

• Posted

Great news Susan, it is wonderful when you wake up without that pain. Don't overdo it and enjoy xx

• Posted

Glad it's gone well. Get plenty of rest in between the exercises ! 🚶

• Posted

Wonderful so glad it went well. Take care and do the exercises hugs
  • Posted

Congratulations on the first step of taking your life back! Go easy on it for awhile!
  • Posted

Dear Susan

Really great news. Yes do take care especially in the first few weeks. Do the boring exercises and do use BOTH sticks or crutches until you are really walking well without my sign of limping.At the slightest indication of a limp pick up the walking aids until you have improved.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Couldn't not agree with you more, about less pain after surgery, I was soooo surprised. 

Now for the hard work, remember this is a marathon not a sprint, slow and steady will get you there with not too much damage to muscles that have already been given the work out from hell by the surgeon.

Congrats, so pleased for you.  BIG SMILE

• Posted

Good luck!!!  Hubby is home after 24 hours of having surgery.  I'm still in awe how much better everyone feels post op.  Best of luck to you.  Here's to a sleepless night making sure he doesn't get carried away. 

• Posted

Suzan, you sound like me, I woke up to no more pain! It was wonderful. Please let me give you my advice. I came home day 2 , did pt at hospital and they said walk a lot and you will be fine. Well at 40 and owning 20 acres and a landscape company, I walked a lot. I rode along in a car to take parts to a job on day 6 and kept walking a bunch I felt great. And then all of a sudden after my first day of PT at local clinic. My leg swelled huge! Pain was incredible! I could walk at all , only wheel chair. I was told I over did it to soon. Of course I replied saying I did what you told me! My PT people think I should have stopped pain meds a month before operation as opposed to a week, which caused my thin blood and the bleeding that swelled my leg.

So first week take it very easy! Force yourself to lie in bed with leg above heart, and lots of ice!

Take care! Good luck!

• Posted

hi susan , 

Your post reminded all of us here how happy we were waking up without that awful grinding pain - euphoric !

we also know that there will be times of less happy moments rolleyes - 

so come back here any time - you are not alone ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Great news Susan, congratulations! I loved my new hip....take it steadily, take your meds, do your exercises. Well done!
  • Posted

Suzan, that's great! Now please take my advice. First week , just lay low in bed, leg up on ice. My surgeon couldn't believe how much I swelled from my first week walking and doing stuff.

All those veins they cut need time to heal. I know you feel great as I did. But trust me. Take it slow . And take every chance you can to lie in bed with leg above heart..

Keep us posted ! Take care!

• Posted

Yes I agree with others take it easy the first few weeks.  Your leg may swell up and bruising will occur if you are walking a lot.  Rest in between and lie down twice a day for half an hour.  Listen to your body if you feel tired, rest. Then you will have a good outcome.  I am 10 days post op and was hoping I could walk to our local hospital on Thursday for my a physio therapy(about a mile)  but Ive just walked  just over half way and realise that I am not going to be able to do that so I will get a taxi.  Hopefully by my next appointment it will be possible to walk.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.