1 day post TKR!

Posted , 20 users are following.

hi everyone.

Had my TKR yesterday and can't believe the pain!  The problem is that I have been taking Quite a large amount of strong painkillers for 2 or more years that I seem to be immune to them!

Any tips?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan you are still in hospital I presume? They should be giving you morphine for the first day or so, then tramadol or something like that.  It is painful for the first few weeks but get the meds right and it will be manageable. Chin up it gets better honestly. X
  • Posted

If you only had it  done yesterday then it's understandably sore but you must get the staff informed and they will get your pain relief sorted.  Ask that's what they are there for please,.i have been down that route and didn't the first time. I'm ten days now since second knee and yes it's painful  I wont lie  but bearable enough to use /walk and exercise.  It takes time. 
  • Posted

Susan let your team know what you were taking before then they should be able to tweak your medications to include something stronger. But you must take it before really bad pain sets in. ..I had quite a cocktail on my last joint 2 years ago. 
  • Posted

As others have said, let the staff know that you are struggling so they can adjust the medication. There are numerous options they can try so don't suffer in silence. I was in hospital for 9 days as mine was a bit more complicated than normal but I was on a morphine pump for almost a week.

The anaesthetic will be wearing off so that's why the pain is starting to hit. Unfortunately it is going to get worse for a few days unless you ask for help. There is bound to be something that will elleviate your discomfort.

You need to medicate correctly and drink as much fluid as possible.

• Posted

Hi susan its flamin awful im 10 weeks post op now but boy did I cry at first and im 56 . The day after my op I was in such pain I was screaming being sick and sweating and they infected me with Ketomine and it was fantastic it acted instantly I could see and hear everyone but couldnt move or talk that enabled me to stop being sick and calm down???? However it got bad once home and the only advice I can offer really is keep badgering your GP or staff if ur still in hosp and eventually they will find something that suits also drink LOADS of water it flushes it round your system it keeps ur muscles soft and its the best thing ever you can also drink tonic water cos the quinine helps tons. Hope you feel better soon but I remember it well x x
  • Posted

Oh you poor thing.   I am having my second one in eight weeks tomorrow.  I must say that I didn't have much pain for the first 10 days and then it set in.  You should let your surgeon know that you are in pain, they must be able to give you some relief.   Good luck with your recovery 
  • Posted

Hi Susan

unfortunately you will be in pain.  I woke up in pain with my last TKR.  The nurses should be asking you your pain level when they do your obs, and getting the on-call doctor or consultant to prescribe appropriately.

There's no hiding the fact that it will be hard for a while.  Keep up the fluids, like others have said, and try and keep some movement going...little and often.

Patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012 2nd TKR Sept 2014

• Posted

Maybe talk to your Dr about a different drug. After my last go round in March, I went from hydrocodone (narco) , which I had been on for years, to oxycodone. Combined that with m s contin, an extended release drug and Aleve, an over the counter inflammation fighter and never was in horrible pain. Still using lighter dosage as I'm in an immobilizer waiting for the new new knee to get reinstalled after the battle with staph. Being in a walker and not allowed to go beyond a 40° degree bend nor putting more than 50% weight causes a lot of late day/night time discomfort which I medicate for as there is no reason to be miserable physically when I'm already miserable mentally. Its 3 a.m. and I'm waiting for a low dosage of the oxycodone to kick in so I can get back to sleep.
  • Posted

Hi Susan

Been there done that.

I had TKR 3 years ago.

It is a long hard road with ups and downs, but it is worth it in the end.

Talk to staff about your need for some pain relief.

Once you have got that sorted you will be more able to start doing physio exercises, Then the work begins!!

Take care and keep in touch.

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah as your a pro can I ask you???? Is your replacement knee now the same size as your normal knee or has it always been different????
  • Posted

Thanks guys.  I've been on oxycodone for years so they've upped the dosage on that plus I have pregablin and naproxen,  in hospital I'm also on tramadol and oral morphine and intravenous paracetamol!  And yes, I had an awful lot of tears last night too - along with the feelings of OMG what have I done?!  They've given me some ice now which seems to ease a little.

I know I'll get there though.  This forum helps to see what you've all been through and to know I can ask for advice or have a moan without putting it all on my hubby is great.  So no doubt I'll be asking for more help soon!

• Posted

I'm in the US and go to a teaching hospital. They use a wire inserted into the groin and runs to the knee. It is a combination drip plus a patient controlled pump and this allows for excellent pain control for the first 48 hrs then it's pulled and they leave the morphine pump available through the i.v. for the next 24. Can't imagine the pain without all of the extra. Initial precUtions. Hope the next 24 hrs will be better
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm in the UK and haven't heard of the wire thingy.  Have previously had the morphine Ii.v. Though for a different op.
    • Posted

Do you know what that wire thing for pain is called ? I've never heard of it. Maybe it's a new thing,
    • Posted

They insert a wire in the vein/artery using a scope so they can see to guide it through. Same process as a picc line. Then the machine is set to allow the meds to drip and run down the wire stopping somewhere in the vicinity of the knee. When I had my revision in Jan of 2013 I fell the next day and twisted the femur into with a torque type break. Normally a broken femur is about as painful as a broken bone gets.but I never felt a thing. The next day I had to have a plate inserted from hip to knee and screwed into place with 4 screws going through the big part of the bone and 4 into the knee. So now I have a tkr and broken bone (same leg) and am doing pretty good. 2 days later they pull the wire and all hell breaks loose for a couple of days till they got the pain meds working properly. Then to answer your original question, no I don't know what proceedure is called but they will be doing it again the 25th of June when getting my new knee inserted after this last go round with staph. The anestheologist ha e told me twice but was more son erned a out the surgery than medical terminology. On my original tkr in 2004 they used an epidural for pain control but the wire is 100x's more effective

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.