1 year on 15mg of Mirt - Now feeling like zombie

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been taking 15mg Mitazapine for a year now.

I was originally perscribed it for a low period where I was struggling to sleep.

Overall it been fantastic, helped my anaxity, broke my sleep problems and gave me a real boost.

However, the last couple of months I've been feeling less and less awake during the days and more fuzzy headed, which is stopping me getting out and doing things. I've had 9 hours of sleep and it's mid day and I feel like I want to curl up and lie down.

I'm not sure if I should try increasing my dose to 30mg - so it has less of a sedation effect?

Or try halving it to 7.5mg, to try and slowly come off it?

I can't get an appointment with my doctor for another 4 weeks.

Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

Yes Mirt really helped me too for insomnia and a real bad phase in my life.  

I wouldn't increase it if I were you, sometimes increasing can bring on anxiety, and then there is the time when you might want to come off it and then its even harder.

What ever you do don't drop the dose by 50%, drop it no more than 10% every month, for a full informed choice of how to do that click on my name and follow the links under the status there).

The lower the dose the more sedation yes, 7.5 will also help you sleep, in fact 1 mg helped me to sleep !!  

Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

I agree with Calmer.  I was unbeknownst to me in withdrawal from Effexor, couldn't eat or sleep, and so my doc prescribed 7.5 mg mirt and indeed I did sleep with that!  Problem was, it didn't do anything for the other issues caused by withdrawal so I kept increasing up to 37.5 mg, but still didn't address the low mood, in fact that got worse.  Ended up reinstating Effexor and within one hour everything turned around for me!  So, I began tapering the mirt.  I am down to 6.1 mg using the 10% method per month, and still sleeping.  You must be careful about going too fast, because you can get thrown into rebound insomnia which is the opposite of what you need!

Mirt is a very difficult med to get off of and if you do any research on mirt wd here you will see that.  The sedation coming on now may be a sign that your body is getting fed up with the mirt.  I've had groggy patches during my taper which passed, so please think carefully about increasing your dose to fix that!  

Good luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.